What's Up With My Plec

1. xus

xus New Member Member

Recently inherited a tank with a plec, only seen him a couple of times but he doesnt look right!Hes in a 150g malawi tank, all other fish healthy, water parameters are fine

Attached Files:

2. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

From that picture it doesn't look like a pleco to me. Maybe because of the angle?

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, that does not even look like a pleco. Can you remove him? Do you have any other place to put him?

4. OP
    OP
    xus

xus New Member Member

Its deffo a pleco, sorry for weird angle hes upside down on glass at the top corner of the tank, just his body in pic

5. D

To me it looks like an African Leaffish, which would make more sense in a Malawi tank.

6. OP
    OP
    xus

xus New Member Member

Found another pic taken a few weeks ago, he Doesnt look as bad but bad lighting
    IMG 0504 but can see patches developing, never noticed anything wrong in this pic to start with

Nowhere to put him unfortunately! When lights go out he still comes out and acts normal, other fish ignore him, i first thought he was being bullied

7. KimberlyG

I believed he was a pleco, the picture you posted shows how he has degraded. Do you know how long he was living with those fish?

Really? Okay. I don't know what Malawi fish you have, but my mbuna cichlids would have eaten him alive.

8. D

He is likely deteriorating because plecos come from waters with low ph/hardness. Not suitable for Malawain tank.

9. OP
    OP
    xus

xus New Member Member

Ph is 7.8, moderately soft water, hes been with the same malawis about 1.5 years. Cichlids just ignore him (from what iv seen when he is out). I only inherited this tank around 4 weeks ago

10. D

Oh, okay. You dont need to add salts to the tank?

11. OP
    OP
    xus

xus New Member Member

From my research when i took over this tank i found this - The general hardness in Lake Malawi is not as high as many might think - around 7 degrees GH. The carbonate hardness is around 10-12 degrees KH, which leads to the higher pH values measured - in the region of 7.8-8.6. so i think my water is ok for mbuna

12. D

The best way to figure out what is wrong and how to treat him would be to put him in a hospital tank so you can see if he is eating, has any white or unusual feces, and just to get a better look at him externally. If we had a better picture of his current state- would definitely help.

13. OP
    OP
    xus

xus New Member Member

I don't add salts, have also read up on that, some people say they add others say they dont. Previous owner never added any so i kept it that way

Will try get a better pic, any time lights on he hides in his cave though so may be tricky. Have been checking faeces, look normal (and long lol)

14. KimberlyG

7.8 is okay for the cichlids. They adapt. Seachems Malawi buffers only bring it to 8.0. So if the cichlids are not bothering him...does he have driftwood for his digestive track? Are the cichlids letting him get any food?
    Edit: Forget that, I see you have a BN. You know what to do.

15. D

Was he exposed to any high levels of ammonia or nitrates when you set up the tank four weeks ago- any cycling issues? Any other illnesses that you treated for with other fish since you got him?

16. OP
    OP
    xus

xus New Member Member

No driftwood, (has never been any in tank) when i added it to my last tank it lowered the ph and with it already being right on the edge for mbune i was hesitant to add any. Just like to add i appreciate all the replies.

Tank b
    Tank been setup for around 1.5 years so no spikes. Have tested params with api kit. ( i moved into house which had this tank built into the wall) kept a 20g community previously so already had all the kit. Not treated tank for anything, all other fish doing well

17. D

That is it- the wood! Pleco's need wood to aid in their digestion. Put the wood back. Good job @KimberlyG !
    Edit: I will qualify that: Most pleco's need to gnaw on wood fiber to aid in their digestion. There are a handful of species that do not. But, it would be a simple fix to add a small piece to your tank to see if he will recover.

18. KimberlyG

Then you need to get him fiber. Fresh veggies (zucchini is great). He does look bad but I can't tell what is going on with him.

19. OP
    OP
    xus

xus New Member Member

Will try add some wood. Got some from previous tank were i kept bn pleco. Hope it doesnt lower ph too much, plenty algae on rocks etc in tank as mbuna eat that so thought he would have been ok with that. Weird how hes been ok for 1.5 years and suddenly looks like hes on deaths door, although acting normally!

Edit: also feed him algae wafers, not just the algae in tank

20. OP
    OP
    xus

xus New Member Member

Also can anyone tell from the terrible pictures what kind of pleco he is? Just so i can do more research