Whats Up With My Mollys Eye?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Mollymommy11, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Mollymommy11

Mollymommy11New MemberMember

I just bought this molly 2 days ago and something is wrong with her eye. Can someone tell me what it is? Its slightly swelled. Hasn't gotten bigger.

Attached Files:

2. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Kind of hard to tell.... Popeye?
    Looks like my Molly that died yesterday :emoji_cry: (the coloring, not the condition!)

3. OP
    OP
    Mollymommy11

Thank you for replying. I'll try to get some better photos. I am so sorry to hear about your molly. It really stinks when you lose one. I bought this one cuz I felt so bad for her. She'd been at the Petco forever. I didn't notice her eye till last night....it blends in with her coloring.

4. CheshireKat

It looks like Popeye, as in the eye is protruding out. Is it just that eye or both? Any clouding on the eye?
    Do you have Epsom salt or any medications on hand?
    A photo of her from the front and maybe the side might help. Does it look like she's bloated? It rather looks like she's got a big round belly. Is she with other fish right now?

Yeah, mine died in less than 24 hours and rapidly went down hill (from fumbling around to heaving under the filter intake) in 5 hours. I'd picked her out because she was the only one that looked like her in the tank, which was labeled "assorted platies." Just found out she's a Molly last week when I was affectionately complaining about her bullying. I think she might've been with platies and not other mollies for a reason...

5. OP
    OP
    Mollymommy11

She's a balloon molly so she has a little tummy. She's completely blind in that eye. I don't know if she had popeye recently while in the pet store and that is the result from it. I posted a bunch of photos. I hope they help. Let me know if you need anything else. She's by herself right now in a 5 gallon hospital tank I have. I added some aquarium salt. Yes I have some meds here. Should I treat her to be safe? I know the petstores around here will put mollys and platys in the same tank. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the two. Lol.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  6. CheshireKat

Yeah, I think it's Popeye. Do you have Paraguard or any anti-bacterial types of medicines? If there's an infection or something in the eye causing it to pop out, those should clear it up. Paraguard helped my betta's cloudy eye.
    Alternatively, Epsom salt might reduce swelling as well.

7. OP
    OP
    Mollymommy11

Hey. My Molly is doing much better. She must of had popeye at the store. I did what you told me with the Epsom Salt and Paraguard. The swelling came down and the eye cleared up some. She's still blind in it. Thank you for all your help Cheshirekat. I really appreciate it. :) Have a great day!

8. CheshireKat

I'm so glad! I'm a bit sad she's blind in that eye, but perhaps it was too advanced or something else went on internally that damaged it :( but as long as she's a happy fish otherwise, sounds like she'll have a good life with you