What's up with my java moss?

amber0107

My java moss is looking a bit funky lately. Brown fuzziness on parts of it. What type of algae am I dealing with? It's in a 5.5 gallon tank with a 10w cfl. Too much lighting (approx. 7hrs a day)? It's in a bright room as well. FYI: This tank has a betta, a nerite, java ferns, java moss, anubias and some other stem plant...I forget its name. It is cycled with nitrates hovering between 0-5.

002.jpg
003.jpg

D_C_1

Looks like brown algae. Otto catfish would sort that out easily. Don't think you get it from too much lighting, more like too little lighting/oxygen in the water. Possibly a lot of nutrients as well but not sure on that one. Quite common to get in new tanks as well. Not saying to change your lighting as 7 hours seems fine but you could try feeding less or getting some Ottos

amber0107

I have otos, but I'm not putting them into a tank that small. Thanks for the advice, though!

LyndaB

You could move one over to handle the algae, then move him back when it's all cleared up. But you would be risking whether your betta would behave around him or not.

amber0107

Catching oto's is no fun!! They are so stinking fast. I'd rather pull out the moss and put it in their tank and then switch it back later if necessary. Thanks for helping me id what type it is. I appreciate it.

Nate McFin

I would not move the moss to your other tank as you would risk infecting it too. I made that mistake once and then I had two tanks with algae instead of 1!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
  • Question
Replies