Whats up with my guppy?

BettaFishObsessed

So rn I have 3 guppies (i am getting more soon so there will be a shoal of around 5 i know 3 is not enough) and one of them had a red streak along its back when i got it. I figured it was just coloring since it seemed healthy. And now a few weeks later the red streaks have spread so its whole top of its head and back are covered in it, and now its changed so it isnt red, its more purple and transparent, like if i look closely I can see the general outline of its skull and stuff im pretty sure. No behavioral changes, its eating fine and none of the other guppies have this. Although one guppy has had the base of and most of the rest of one fin be red since when I got it, but it hasnt spread and again behavior is fine so i figure thats just coloring or something. (***NOTE: in this photo the guppies are in a bowl. I was re-scaping part of the tank so I didn’t want to have to deal with not crushing fish, so I put them in this bowl while I was doing that. They do not live in a bowl.***)

Attachments

• DCFED602-D6CE-4956-82E9-C10A0D249FDE.jpeg
    DCFED602-D6CE-4956-82E9-C10A0D249FDE.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 10
  • 437CB6CD-0B72-4BBA-A226-8488627C28B3.jpeg
    437CB6CD-0B72-4BBA-A226-8488627C28B3.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 9

ChrissFishes01

I don't know where you're hearing three guppies isn't enough - it's plenty, if three is all you want.

Lots of guppies that don't have color on parts of their bodies will show organs through their skin, especially around their head. That's what this looks like to me - the change in coloration is likely just due to the decrease in stress from the store to your tank.

For me, when I hear "It looks red", I think of inflammation or otherwise irritated tissue. Lots of things can cause this - stress, poor water quality, getting picked on, etc... All things that a guppy might go through while being shipped to the store. That deep purple/less intense red could just be the healthy color of that tissue.

I'm no livebearer expert, for sure, but I've definitely seen guppies (and other fish!) with this purple coloration around their gills/head, and those fish have never been sick. If he begins to act sick, at that point I'd be a bit more concerned - otherwise, assume all is well :)

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

I don't know where you're hearing three guppies isn't enough - it's plenty, if three is all you want.

Lots of guppies that don't have color on parts of their bodies will show organs through their skin, especially around their head. That's what this looks like to me - the change in coloration is likely just due to the decrease in stress from the store to your tank.

For me, when I hear "It looks red", I think of inflammation or otherwise irritated tissue. Lots of things can cause this - stress, poor water quality, getting picked on, etc... All things that a guppy might go through while being shipped to the store. That deep purple/less intense red could just be the healthy color of that tissue.

I'm no livebearer expert, for sure, but I've definitely seen guppies (and other fish!) with this purple coloration around their gills/head, and those fish have never been sick. If he begins to act sick, at that point I'd be a bit more concerned - otherwise, assume all is well :)

Okay cool! I thought they were supposed to be in groups of 4+, good to know three is enough for them to be happy! I figured it was something like that since he was acting healthy, but I wanted to make sure there wasnt something going on since ive never seen a fish have a coloration change to transparent lol. Thank you!

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Maybe you should try some real seethru guppies. No coloration on a guppy's body doesn't mean that they're seethru guppies, btw. What's also interesting are glass belly guppies. You can see the intestines.
Even base colors (the color they're born with before any further coloration will show up), knows differences in density of the chomatophores (color cells). A low density of these will make the skin more translucent.

Upvote 0

Latest threads

Top Bottom