What's Up With My Glofish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mattyb, Aug 7, 2017.

1. mattyb

mattybNew MemberMember

I've had these glofish for about two years now and I looked over at the tank after I fed them yesterday and saw that one was drastically inflated. He looks like a balloon. all the other fish are fine and my parameters are good to go but this dude is massive. I have three theories but idk if any of them are right. One is that he just ate almost all of the food and is over fed. two is that maybe it's a female and she's pregnant? The last is that maybe it's got a tumor. help me figure this one out.

Attached Files:

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler FishmanValued MemberMember

Could be bloat or it Looks like dropsy are the scales sticking out? Dropsy is an incurable symptom of a disease, I would not go through the trouble of saving the fish, and just humanely eunthanize it, you can try epsom salt dips for about 10-20 mins each day.

3. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Hi there. Firstly, this fish is sick, but worth saving. So I would at least try first. Dropsy isn't always fatal. And we aren't sure that is what this is anyways.

Do you have a small hospital tank you can put him in? One that is 1-2 gallons with a heater and an airstone? You need to observe him closer and see if he is pooping at all. It doesn't look like he is overfed, to me he looks bloated/constipated.

I would fast him for 3 days. No food at all. Then feed a blanched deshelled pea. This will act like a laxative. Hopefully clearing out his system.

During the 3 days of fasting, you can do an Epsom salt bath once per day. This will help with the bloat.

After the 3 days of watching and treating. Let's re-evaluate. See if he is better or worse before proceeding.

FYI if a blackskirt is gravid, they are more square than round. I have a big mama that has eggs and it is unmistakable. Your guy looks bloated not gravid (pregnant/full of eggs)

4. toolman

toolmanWell Known MemberMember

I would try what @AllieSten suggested first, but if that doesn't work I have had marginally good results with Maracyn Plus from Fritzaquatics Aquatic's. Medicine is always a last resort and is usually expensive, but it's an option.

5. OP
    OP
    mattyb

mattybNew MemberMember

UPDATE: I have since moved the fish into a quarantine tank and i'll just wait and fast him. I'll let you guys know what happens.

6. OP
    OP
    mattyb

mattybNew MemberMember

LAST UPDATE: This fish didn't make it sadly. I really don't know what he had. It looked a bit like dropsy with the bloating and the raised scales but that is only a secondary infection. Could have maybe been a tumor or liver failure. I saw him alive stuck against the filter so I tried pushing him off but he was just not floating right at all and was making his way back to the filter so I made the choice to euthanize him and put him out of his misery. If anyone thinks they could determine the cause please feel free to write about it. Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice