What's up with my dwarf gourami? Ich or columnaris

LittleFin
HI everyone- I'm new to the forum, I hopped over here from another one hoping to get some responses (please!)

I really need some help. One of my flame dwarf gouramis has something going on and I can't figure out if it's ich or columnaris or what. First he developed some small, whitish pimple-like bumps; one at the base of his dorsal fin (which you can see in the pic below), two at the base of his tail and another in the middle of his bottom fin. Then the coloring on his head went from a solid grey to very patchy grey and white - almost like he's turning piebald. Now his fins seem like they're getting a transparency to them. But he is eating well, swims quite a bit and doesn't rest any more than the other gourami.

Thinking it was Ich, I turned the heat from 78 up to 82 last Tuesday (it's been a week) and started adding API salt Wednesday (6 days, now, and there's a total of 7 tsp dissolved salt in the tank water). I've done 2 30% pwc in the past week and vacuumed the gravel, replacing the removed salt only in the new water.

It is a 36g Aqueon bowfront and the filter came with it. The tank has been running for 9 months. I do 30% pwc/week and vac half of the gravel every other time.

Stock: 6 green platinum barbs (adult), 1 1.5 inch green tiger barb, 2 flame dwarf gouramis and 4 oto cats

Plants: Java ferns, anubias nana, wisteria, crypt wendtii, java moss

Parameters as of last night:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
NitrAtes ~20
gh 5
kh 5
ph ~7.5

Please help, and thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• gourami1.jpg
    gourami1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 445
  • gourami2.jpg
    gourami2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 367
Advertisement
DoubleDutch
Have seen so many cases alike now. There DG's as soooo prone to Dwarf Gourami Disease. These really are symptoms of that disease. It's a virus caught in Asia, that shows symptoms after some time in "our" tanks.

DoubleDutch
Btw : it isn't treatable / curable. A shame for such beautiful fish !! Sorry.

LittleFin
Thanks for your response, DoubleDutch. I read up on DGD, but so far the sources I've found online give different symptoms and my initial response was 'maybe it ISN'T Iridovirus - that gourami has red sores' and 'that one is turning black' but many viruses present differently, and there are enough similarities here to admit defeat. :-(.

I'll put him in QT and cross my fingers that my other DG stays healthy (though I'm not very hopeful at the moment. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Ardumedes
I am so sorry for you that's really hard.

DoubleDutch
Crossing my fingers as well !!! DGD was the reason for me to "go international" having so many problems in Holland with DG's. It was unknown and within less than an hour this disease "showed up" at jnternational forums. The quarter fell !!! It has an incredible amount of symptoms which often are like fish-TB (bacterial). Succes with this fellow.

LittleFin
Just an update - he's still alive and kickin, even with those white bumps that you can see in the pics above. Eats well, just a little shy sometimes. Confused, but I'm happy!

DoubleDutch
Congrats. Confused too hahaha.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarryDynamo
Replies
Views
JMcC
Replies
Views
PheonixKingZ