5 Gallon Tank What’s up with my Betta’s fins?

sak

So, Skittles joined our family June 20th (pic 1). He is in a 5 gallon heated filtered and cycled-tank all by himself. Only has live plants and all decor has been sanded and passed the pantyhose test. Water is changed weekly and parameters are consistently good.

he is my first fish so not sure if the progression in his fins is expected? He has definitely grown in since we got him but his fins are looking worse. 3 pics attached - June 20th, July 11th and July 30th.
I have never seen him nipping at them, unless it happens in the night.

Any thoughts if this is nipping/ fin rot or nothing to worry? He is otherwise active and eating fine.

anything I need to do to keep them healthier?

thanks!

Attachments

• 860F2914-7F74-49FA-BE0B-C9932E4071F3.jpeg
    860F2914-7F74-49FA-BE0B-C9932E4071F3.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 8C83E3E8-6F9C-42C6-888F-E6C3A35DEB0F.jpeg
    8C83E3E8-6F9C-42C6-888F-E6C3A35DEB0F.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 34
  • D219639F-D657-4304-96BA-3D9DAE06B69E.jpeg
    D219639F-D657-4304-96BA-3D9DAE06B69E.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 34

RMtanks

What kind of filter do you use? Have you noticed them sleeping or hanging around by the intake a lot? Sometimes they can get the fins torn if the filter flow is too strong and their tails get caught.
(Also Skittles is an adorable name for a betta lol)
The fraying of the webbing in between the fin rays might be a sign of fin rot, but the base of their fins doesn't look super inflamed. How frequently do you do a water change and test the water?

julifhy

His coloring is so pretty! I love the light blue spots on his tail :) I agree with RMtanks and I have an additional question, do the tips of his tail seem darker?

sak

What kind of filter do you use? Have you noticed them sleeping or hanging around by the intake a lot? Sometimes they can get the fins torn if the filter flow is too strong and their tails get caught.
(Also Skittles is an adorable name for a betta lol)
The fraying of the webbing in between the fin rays might be a sign of fin rot, but the base of their fins doesn't look super inflamed. How frequently do you do a water change and test the water?
Thank you… my 5yr old son named him. :)
Filter is the Fluval chi standard… not fast flow at all.. and he doesn’t really hang there. I doubt that’s the reason.
50% water change is weekly.. and I test the water weekly as well.
His coloring is so pretty! I love the light blue spots on his tail :) I agree with RMtanks and I have an additional question, do the tips of his tail seem darker?
Thank you.. his blue is getting more and more pronounced with time.. love it!
His tips are darker at some places… towards the middle fins… but mostly transparent (new growth?) attached another pic if that helps.
F0B93E23-C50F-444B-A2A8-3635184B8EF7.jpeg
F2204409-2A67-49BC-A1E4-06B0BACAC343.jpeg

RMtanks

Thank you… my 5yr old son named him. :)
Filter is the Fluval chi standard… not fast flow at all.. and he doesn’t really hang there. I doubt that’s the reason.
50% water change is weekly.. and I test the water weekly as well.

Thank you.. his blue is getting more and more pronounced with time.. love it!
His tips are darker at some places… towards the middle fins… but mostly transparent (new growth?) attached another pic if that helps.
F0B93E23-C50F-444B-A2A8-3635184B8EF7.jpeg
F2204409-2A67-49BC-A1E4-06B0BACAC343.jpeg
Ah those pictures are definitely helpful. It does look like it might be a mild case of fin rot, if the tips of the frayed fins are dark and the webbing in-between looks milky, whitish and thin. I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to misinform you, so maybe wait to treat it until you get someone else's opinion, but it does look like that may be the problem. Particularly I think so because of how they're slowly being eaten away at, rather than being ripped in one large area. The gradual deterioration does look more like fin rot to me, and it seems like it would be strange for it to happen otherwise if it's not from nipping or the filter isnt the issue.
If it is fin rot, you're lucky you caught it early! Make sure your substrate isn't dirty or has any leftover food on the bottom- if so, vaccum it. If your water parameters are good and you change regularly, the cause may just be stress. Sometimes bettas, particularly longfins, will be more susceptible to diseases like that if they've recently been moved and exposed to all that stress. They could also be carrying that bacteria with them from wherever you got him from, and maybe he was reacting to the sudden temp/pH change of being put onto a new tank. If you got him and moved him into your tank just a month ago, that could be why.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Deb95
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pablothebetta11
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
M