What's up with Equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer confusion?

californiascape

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
All of the information I've found about these products is conflicting :facepalm: The bottle's dosing recommendations are different from the official Seachem calculator, and some forum people say that both of those are incorrect. So, thoroughly confused, I decided to wing it and just find the ratios on my own by mixing and testing, and that didn't go very well.

My intention was to fill up my 17g tank with water remineralized to GH 6 and KH 2.

I wanted to figure out the proper dosing to remineralize a 5g bucket of water first, to make my water changes easier. 1 (1/4) teaspoon of alkaline buffer, which is supposed to give me KH 2 in 5 gallons of water, gave me KH 4 :mad: So, I figured I'd just double the Equillibrum dose too, and combine my remineralized 5 gallons with 5 gallons of pure RO, which should dilute the GH+KH to half. So I added 11 (1/4) teaspoons of equilibrium that brought the GH to 10 and poured it in the tank alongside the extra 5g of pure RO.

5 gallons remineralized to GH 10/KH 4 + 5 more gallons of pure RO should = 10 gallons with Gh 5/KH 2. Right?

Wrong. It inexplicably stayed the same at GH 10 and KH 4. In desperation I just filled up the rest of the tank with 7 more gallons of pure RO and let it sit overnight. I tested it the next day and it dropped only one point down to GH 9 and KH 3, even though I added a total of 12 gallons of pure RO to dilute the original 5g.

Can anyone explain why this is happening to me, or what the correct ratios are?

OP
californiascape

californiascape

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update, just tested again and the tank is at KH 5 and GH 7 now?? So confusing. I had hoped to add my fish back tomorrow, but if it continues to fluctuate like this that won't be possible.

New Threads