What's This Weird White Stuff On My Fish?

Max Sanborn

Active Member
Member
Messages
57
Reaction score
11
Location
Maine
Experience
2 years
My local Petco was having one of those "dollar per gallon" sales a few weeks back, so I decided to get a forty gallon. I cycled it and just got 3 oranda goldfish. One of them had some weird white fiber-y looking gunk on his body (you can't really see it on him unless you look close) that was peeling off of him at random. Is it an early sign of columnaris or something? I'm scared, I worked quite a bit on this tank.
 

akcarroll12

Well Known
Member
Messages
595
Reaction score
145
Location
United States
Experience
5 to 10 years
Max Sanborn said:
My local Petco was having one of those "dollar per gallon" sales a few weeks back, so I decided to get a forty gallon. I cycled it and just got 3 oranda goldfish. One of them had some weird white fiber-y looking gunk on his body (you can't really see it on him unless you look close) that was peeling off of him at random. Is it an early sign of columnaris or something? I'm scared, I worked quite a bit on this tank.
Hello! Can you please send pictures?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Max Sanborn

Max Sanborn

Active Member
Member
Messages
57
Reaction score
11
Location
Maine
Experience
2 years
akcarroll12 said:
Hello! Can you please send pictures?
Sure.
626b8fa9-44bc-485f-9258-aa094d970835.jpg

This is the weird fibery stuff, it got caught in my filter.
e0dbaa01-3e7c-4bfd-82e3-c92689656a4d.jpg

And here's my very handsome oranda, Krist. I just wanted to show him off, he's pretty. The spots you see on his dorsal fin are smudges on the glass, btw.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Max Sanborn

Max Sanborn

Active Member
Member
Messages
57
Reaction score
11
Location
Maine
Experience
2 years
akcarroll12 said:
Beautiful guy! Could you also please fill out this: Fish Emergency Template it will help us a lot. Does the film look milky at all and is you’re goldfish eating well?
Tank
  • What is the water volume of the tank?
  • 93.75%
  • Does it have a filter?
  • Yes.
  • Does it have a heater?
  • I have one, but I only use it sparingly, since they're coldwater fish.
  • What is the water temperature?
  • About 68 fahrenheit.
  • What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
  • 3 orandas, one calico and two chocolate, one of the chocolates being a baby.

Maintenance
  • How often do you change the water?
  • Every weekend.
  • How much of the water do you change?
  • Usually around 25-30%
  • What do you use to treat your water?
  • Imagitarium Water Conditioner.
  • Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
  • Since I've only had the fish since earlier today, I haven't vacuumed yet. But definitely the substrate.

Parameters
  • Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
  • Of course.
  • What do you use to test the water?
  • API 5 in 1 Test Strips.
  • What are your parameters? We need the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0 ppm.
Nitrite: about 1.2 ppm.
Nitrate: 7 ppm.
pH: 6.3


Feeding
  • How often do you feed your fish?
  • Three times a day.
  • How much do you feed your fish?
  • 2-3 flakes per time.
  • What brand of food do you feed your fish?
  • Tetra Goldfish Vitamin C Enriched Flakes.
  • Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
  • No.

Illness & Symptoms:
  • How long have you had this fish?
  • About 5-6 hours.
  • How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
  • About an hour ago.
  • In a few words, (more room for details below) what are the symptoms?
  • Weird fibrous substance coming off one of the fish.
  • Have you started any treatment for the illness?
  • No.
  • Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
  • No, not that I know of.
  • How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
  • One of them, Krist, stops and rests about once every ten minutes for about 5 minutes, he's been doing this for the entire time.
I wouldn't quite say milky, it's weird and spider-web like though. My two others are eating well, it's just Krist who I haven't seen eat.
 

matt123

Active Member
Member
Messages
297
Reaction score
67
Location
Planet Earth
The filter pic isn't the best quality (not your fault don't worry!). To me that pic looks like exessive slime coat shedding. HOWEVER, the fact that you describe it as fibrous makes me think fungal? I can't be of much help but maybe my insight will help someone else, or you, narrow it down. Let's see what the vaults of google will yield me.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Max Sanborn

Max Sanborn

Active Member
Member
Messages
57
Reaction score
11
Location
Maine
Experience
2 years
matt123 said:
The filter pic isn't the best quality (not your fault don't worry!). To me that pic looks like exessive slime coat shedding. HOWEVER, the fact that you describe it as fibrous makes me think fungal? I can't be of much help but maybe my insight will help someone else, or you, narrow it down. Let's see what the vaults of google will yield me.
Alright, thank you! I haven’t touched it, but it looks fibrous. Not sure what it feels like, might vacuum it this weekend.
 

matt123

Active Member
Member
Messages
297
Reaction score
67
Location
Planet Earth
Keep an eye on that fish for sure. I find a magnifying glass to be an excellent aquarium tool for investigative work such asthis.
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,514
Reaction score
1,357
Location
Minnesota
Experience
More than 10 years
With nitrites you aren't cycled yet. I'd recommend doing partial water changes to keep the nitrites below 1 ppm. I'd also recommend an API Master Test Kit. Test strips can be inconsistent, and some can be downright wrong.
 

Avani

Active Member
Member
Messages
112
Reaction score
28
Location
Ontario
Experience
3 years
GuppyDazzle said:
With nitrites you aren't cycled yet. I'd recommend doing partial water changes to keep the nitrites below 1 ppm. I'd also recommend an API Master Test Kit. Test strips can be inconsistent, and some can be downright wrong.
Seconding this. Good water quality is one of the best medicines you can give to your fish. Also, I recommend staying away from flakes and floating foods with goldfish. Try getting them on some sinking pellets or frozen brine shrimp, maybe.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
95
Guests online
1,933
Total visitors
2,028

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom