What's this substrate?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Fishyboy05, Dec 24, 2012.

1. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

I can't think of the name. It's finer than gravel but not sand. It's black. It contains different sized chips, its natural, I can't remember the name!!

2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

3. OP
    OP
    F

I know it wasn't Eco complete. It was made for freshwter. And all natural

4. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Flourite, ecocomplete, or floramax come to mind.

6. OP
    OP
    F

After looking all of em up, flourite looks to be right! Anyone have experience with this? Is it good with Cory's?

7. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

flourite is typically used for the planted tank, it is great for plants. should not harm you cories at all. if you have plants it will be good but if not it is just basically another fine gravel substrate.

8. OP
    OP
    F

Haha the main reason I want it is I think it looks more natural!and if I do add plants, it also a plus! Thanks for the help, merry christmas

9. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

i would just get sand, its cheap. that stuff is expensive. also i had eco complete and it was very strange to vacuum idk if seachem is the same.

10. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree. If you are not planning on adding live plants then save your money and simply purchase course sand. That's what I have in a couple of my tanks. Perfect for cories too! It is small enough to appear to be sand yet big enough to not compact and act more like a fine gravel.

Have fun setting up your new tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice