What's This Near Guppy’s Tail?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Allinone, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Allinone

Allinone Valued Member Member

I got a new male guppy. And I noticed something near it tail. Do anyone know what this is...?? If it is a disease please give a remedy.... 20180412_203439.jpg

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

Can we see other angles of the guppy and what you found? Its hard to tell what it is from that picture

3. edevingo

edevingo Valued Member Member

Looks like a female anchor worm. 5d307f651ebc2474673ee0262705f216.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    Allinone

Is it harmful to the fish? How can I get rid of it?

5. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Anchor worms are quite rare really. So first, physically remove the gross worm with a tweezers, second: QUARANTINE. Then, get some anti-parasite medication ASAP, because if it's a FEMALE anchor worm, they can lay eggs and spread very rapidly, therefore causing even more bad issues. Within the quarantine tank AND the tank where the guppy was extracted from, if you suspect any further infestation, use a Potassium permaganate solution, and a bit of AQUARIUM salt as well. Disco-Worm also works very effectively, and then get Para-Guard as well. A LOT of guppies via transit and transmission, are unfortunately very susceptible to all kinds of parasites, ailments etc.

6. OP
    OP
    Allinone

Thanks for all your replies.

7. OP
    OP
    Allinone

I removed the anchor worm and dipped him in salt water for half an hour. I would like to put him with others. How many days should I quarantine him before putting him with others?

8. edevingo

edevingo Valued Member Member

I've had anchor worm in my tank and have done in my opinion way to much research on them lol They are free swimming, meaning treatment for the entire tank is recommended, plus a treatment for any secondary infections caused by the wound. There are so many life stages anchor worm go through, I'd personally put him back and treat the entire tank.
    Have you taken any pictures of the other fish? The female is easier to see, I found a few not attached to any of my fish but also in my canisters. The smaller ones, in my opinion and experience are much harder to see unless zoomed in on. I took a few pictures of my fish and zoomed in and found almost all my fish did in fact have those pests on them.
    I personally used clout and had no problems. Dimilin X another good treatment that also kills all the stages but if you have any snails ect in your tank, they would have to be removed cause it will kill them also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice