What's this layer coming off my angel?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bizaliz3, Jun 24, 2016.

1. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Help please....something is wrong with charming!!!

I just moved him and as soon as he hit the water in the new tank this layer of "skin" started falling off of him. What's strange is he looked totally normal in his other tank! So I don't know where this Gunk came from.... the temperature and water conditions are identical in these two tanks and they are both well established tanks.... regardless of switching tanks, there shouldn't be something like this happening immediately....

Please watch the 19 second video and advise. I'm really scared! And for the record I realize he looks a bit stressed but that's because he's just switched tanks so he was getting used to things... like I said he was completely normal one minute earlier before I moved him. His body looked normal too... there was no film on him or anything...

2. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

Not Charming!!!
    Is there a biofilm on top of the water that could have gotten stuck on him?

3. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

No... not at all! The tanks with my juvenile Angels get water changes every two days. They are pristine!

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Gosh, I really have no idea but I'm really hoping it's nothing!! :(

5. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

And what's weird is now that it's all come off he looks completely normal again......

But oddly enough a few minutes after taking the video a little white dot thing...like a teeny tiny white cotton ball at the end of his ventral fin showed up. Looks a lot like ich. But it was not there five minutes ago and this tank has has been at 86 degrees for a couple weeks now....so how would there even be ich and why would it show up immediately?

I'm really confused and a little panicked because it seems like there's something wrong with many of my young angels. And none of this started until I got these dang Angel Mania babies.

It's been going on for a few weeks and I got those guys on May 4th. I've read that some things can take a few weeks to show up.... maybe I didn't QT them long enough?

6. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

It's possible the angelmania babies did introduce something if you're noticing this only recently. What else is going on with your other angels? :(

7. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I have no idea then, I think the angelmania babies probably brought something in:/

8. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

It looks like his slime coat production went into overdrive! Is it possible for the stress of being moved enough to cause that on its own without any irritants present?

9. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

Well....it looks similar to velvet....

The first angel to show the symptoms was one of the blue ones. I have one of my own juvenile Angels who recovered with just heat treatment..... he is now living with two of Charming's younger siblings away from all the rest of the guys. Although they spent some time living with the blue guys too so I worry about them. Even though they're not with them anymore......

Charming started showing signs of it a few weeks ago but after cranking the temperature in the tanks to 86 he started improving and got better again... at least he seemed to until I moved him to the other tank just now and he started shedding! He had looked completely recovered for a week....

Edit.... I just have to say though that if it is Velvet....that's strange because none of my angels have shown any other velvet symptoms other than appearance. And this has been going on for weeks

10. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I sent the video to Tolak and he's thinking it's the Slime coat...I was starting to wonder about that....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice