What's This In My Tank? White Grains Of Something?

blindfaith429

Valued Member
Reaction score
Woke up this morning, and found something new in my tank that showed up last night. Tank inhabitants are 4 amano shrimp and 2 Otos. The tank is a 10 gallon.

The shrimp have been in the tank for about 2 1/2 weeks, and have been eating non stop. They have also all melted (found the 4th shell this morning).

The otos have been in the tank for a few months now and havent had any issues (other than losing 1 the first night, think it was sick from the store / move).

I checked the tank this morning and found these little white things in my tank, almost looks like fine sand or fine salt grains. I've never seen this before. The only thing I can think of is shrimp eggs, but I dont recall seeing any of my shrimp berried (I do have 2 female amanos).

The plant next to the white stuff is an anubius nana, for scale.

Attachments

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have any nirite snails?

blindfaith429

Valued Member
Reaction score
MissNoodle said:
Do you have any nirite snails?
No snails that I know of.

Haven't added any plants since the initial start up of the tank either, except a very small floating plant that was accidentally put in with my shrimp (some sort of water lettuce). I inspected it before putting it in, and there were no hitch-hikers. This was added with the shrimp 2-1/2 weeks ago.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like light colored poop that the shrimp have gone through.
The only other options would be the ottos spawning.

blindfaith429

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, got home tonight and checked on the tank. All the white things are gone now. So bizarre

Tinytail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Huh that is strange. They look small even for oto eggs... but when my corys lay eggs they often get eaten right up so that could explain the disappearance

blindfaith429

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think I solved the mystery. I was looking at my Amano shrimp last night, and spotted some of the white grains tucked up under one of their tails. I tried to get a picture. I'm almost certain it was amano eggs.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To drop their eggs like that (they carry them until they hatch) there would have to be something wrong with the eggs or the shrimp.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom