What's this gunk under my driftwood??

cody000125

Hi All,

What's all this gunk forming under my driftwood? I've cleaned it out multiple times but it keeps coming back right underneath the driftwood? As of now there's nothing in this tank other than a few snails. Any ideas? Thanks

1612730250110.jpeg

StarGirl

Do you have a Pleco? I would say poos.

cody000125

StarGirl said:
Do you have a Pleco? I would say poos.
Nothing in this tank other than a couple snails

StarGirl

What kind of snails? Do they hang out by the driftwood?

Betta'sAnonymous

Kind of looks like a food and poo build up to me

cody000125

StarGirl said:
What kind of snails? Do they hang out by the driftwood?
Just 1 nerite and a couple ramshorn. The nerite climbs on it occasionally but I hardly see any ramshorn on it. Hard to believe a couple snails would cause that in 2 weeks but I'm not sure.
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Kind of looks like a food and poo build up to me
Could be but it's weird that its strictly under the log and nowhere else. I have 2 of those driftwood pieces in there and it follows directly underneath both of them

StarGirl

Does it look like it is chunking off or anything?

cody000125

StarGirl said:
Does it look like it is chunking off or anything?
Hmmm alright.. Just found this out online: " Wood is organic and that means it will break down over time. How quickly it breaks down will depend on a number of factors, but on average, most driftwood will begin to show signs of deterioration as early as 2 years after being submerged and may need replacing after roughly 5 years. As the wood begins to deteriorate, the outside of the wood will start to feel soft and fall away in the form of fluffy, muddy debris. This debris can build up on the substrate of the aquarium and resemble piles of fish waste."

Guess my wood started deteriorating, I've only have them for less than a year but oh well.

StarGirl

cody000125 said:
Hmmm alright.. Just found this out online: " Wood is organic and that means it will break down over time. How quickly it breaks down will depend on a number of factors, but on average, most driftwood will begin to show signs of deterioration as early as 2 years after being submerged and may need replacing after roughly 5 years. As the wood begins to deteriorate, the outside of the wood will start to feel soft and fall away in the form of fluffy, muddy debris. This debris can build up on the substrate of the aquarium and resemble piles of fish waste."

Guess my wood started deteriorating, I've only have them for less than a year but oh well.
Well at least you know what it is now!

Latest threads

Top Bottom