Whats the worst aquarium product you've ever bought?

BigManAquatics
Sponge filters. Honestly I never notice they actually clean anything. But they have been great for my new fry tank tho.
The thing about filters though...the primary purpose of pretty much all aquarium filters has nothing to do with cleaning as most people think of it. Cleaning ammonia from the water, yeah. Dirt, well that is secondary.

Advertisement
Rparker
The thing about filters though...the primary purpose of pretty much all aquarium filters has nothing to do with cleaning as most people think of it. Cleaning ammonia from the water, yeah. Dirt, well that is secondary.
I never thought about that honestly.

BigManAquatics
I never thought about that honestly.
And yeah, sponge filters aren't the greatest for dirt removal, but great for biological filtration!

Checarm
Hello! Happy Friday!

I was browsing the aisle at petco the other day and I was wondering, whats the worst fish product you've ever bought? Why?

-Anna (;
Plastic tank decorations! I don't like how they look anymore, plus the are horrible to clean/fade/etc.

Advertisement
BlackOsprey
Sponge filters. Honestly I never notice they actually clean anything. But they have been great for my new fry tank tho.
They can be decent at collecting loose particles if you attach them to a pump or powerhead. Although, a water bottle cut in half, stuffed with polyester filling and attached to a powerhead is much better for at polishing the water.

sairving
The finnex pure 7 HOB filter. It makes so much noise and randomly gets louder (usually at 2 am). I started running the Aquatop Forza 5-15 again until I find what I'm looking for. Which will either be the next size Forza up or maybe splurging on a seachem tidal.

Maryellen
Glass cleaners. The magnetic ones. Now I have many little scratches all over my glass. Lesson learned; I got otos to replace it.

TClare
Glass cleaners. The magnetic ones. Now I have many little scratches all over my glass. Lesson learned; I got otos to replace it.
I have not used those for years and won't again. An ordinary kitchen sponge works well. Otos and snails help!

A201
I normally use an aquarium specific wire handle plastic bristle brush when cleaning the aquarium glass. I do cautiously use the magnetic algae cleaner on occasion. Got to be sure that no gravel gets stuck on the pad.

Advertisement
BigManAquatics
I normally use an aquarium specific wire handle plastic bristle brush when cleaning the aquarium glass. I do cautiously use the magnetic algae cleaner on occasion. Got to be sure that no gravel gets stuck on the pad.
Same with sand. Luckily, i rarely have to use mine as well, snails and plecos do a pretty good job.

Thunder_o_b
A 37 gallon Marineland aquarium.

It broke. Was a right proper pain in the neck. I like their canisters but their aquariums and heaters never again.

Attachments

• _MG_8175-Edit.0 copy.jpg
    _MG_8175-Edit.0 copy.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 27
Linda1234
A 37 gallon Marineland aquarium.

It broke. Was a right proper pain in the neck. I like their canisters but their aquariums and heaters never again.
aqueon are not much better; I had a 40 bottom split (yes it was on a level surface) and a 29 spring a leak (after 1 year) along the bottom seams. At least the leak was slow enough i could get the fishes out before a lot of water spilled.

Thunder_o_b
aqueon are not much better; I had a 40 bottom split (yes it was on a level surface) and a 29 spring a leak (after 1 year) along the bottom seams. At least the leak was slow enough i could get the fishes out before a lot of water spilled.
Nothing livens up a Sunday faster than watching a crack make a water cascade from your guppy aquarium. Then scrambling to get the water out before it bursts while saving the guppies....

86 ssinit
Ok I’m not going to say the worst but something that’s really doesn’t meet what it advertised to do. The fx6 by fluval.I’ve been running this filter for the 3 yrs and it’s gotten slower and slower. Got to say for a filter that they say is rated for a 400g tanks it really doesn’t make the grade. I’m using mine on a 125 discus tank that I change 50% of the water weekly and it just doesn’t keep up. Seems like the pump motor just doesn’t keep up. So for me it’s just another product that’s doesn’t meet what it says it’s good for. I just don’t understand the people who are using 2 on any tank and saying there good filters.

Advertisement
BlueberrytheBetta
Hello! Happy Friday!

I was browsing the aisle at petco the other day and I was wondering, whats the worst fish product you've ever bought? Why?

-Anna (;
Big aquarium rocks because they are too heavy for most tanks

Sokamix
I’m regretting gravel. I didn’t think I’d ever get live plants, but now I have a couple. I’ve also heard that gravel isn’t smooth enough for fish. I have no desire to replace it (newly cycled tank), and no idea what I’d put in instead.
Sand looks amazing in planted tanks. Try that!

FishDin
Many, of us have plants, gravel and fish in the same aquarium. Don't stress over it.

Linda1234
I think the worse product I ever purchased was caribsea moonshine. Don't get me wrong i really like this ultra fine substrate; but the issue i have is that I want a deep substrate (between 2 and 3 inches) for plants and this stuff forms anaerobic patches of the worse type very quickly. Having experimented with different substrates and current styles I have found that substrate like stoney river have not had this issue as well as slightly coarser carbisea substrate like torpedo beach and crystal river are less prone to this issue. I like to use the term 'breath' but not sure exactly why moonshine is so prone to these deadly pockets. I've tried adding wave makers and trumpet snail but after 30 months of experimenting have not found a solution for this specific substrate hence it is the worse product I have owned. I've had to replace this substrate in a 3 aquariums after both plant and fish die off started to occur and in all 3 cases a quick and permanent fix seem to have occurred with all 3 tanks now running over a year without issue reoccurring.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
CoolChazz14
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views