Whats the worst aquarium product you've ever bought?

SnookusFish
I bought tetra safe start when I was a noob even tho my dad had a canister filter full of cycled media already. Not to mention I used all the tss and it did nothing whereas using some old filter floss cycled my tank in 2 days.

Also regret buying a lot of things that if I could go back now I wouldnt buy and save myself a lot of money. One if these would be getting an all in one tank kit. I've literally replaced everything from that except the heater and actual tank. Could have bought a rimless tank and all accessories separately and still saved some money

Advertisement
Ouse
There are lots of things that I bought that I didn’t need and if I didn’t buy them I’d have saved lots of money. I agree that this can be an issue in fishkeeping, particularly for beginners. A similar issue happened to me when I was buying Fluval Tapsafe and Seachem Prime at the same time even though you only need one of them. Initially I though they served different functions and that I’d need both. From now on I’ll use Prime rather than Fluval Tapsafe. It’s mistakes like this that you learn from.

Sweetie07
Let’s stay on topic please, this thread is about your product purchases not the merits or otherwise of Lfs’s.
Whoops sorry hun, got sidetracked :)

Cawafuoshi
Hello! Happy Friday!

I was browsing the aisle at petco the other day and I was wondering, whats the worst fish product you've ever bought? Why?

-Anna (;
My fish tank. Too small to call it a tank for fish. That's why it only houses one snail for the rest of its existence.
Also the suction cups eventually get stiff and won't keep suction. I got one the other day that hangs from the top of the tank to give it a try.
Replaced mine with a digital one. Probe is hiding on the back wall or floating unseen when the cup stopped to suck. Digital readout is hidden neatly on the side. I would say it's more accurate than the regular ones and costs around $5.
I bought tetra safe start when I was a noob even tho my dad had a canister filter full of cycled media already. Not to mention I used all the tss and it did nothing whereas using some old filter floss cycled my tank in 2 days.

Also regret buying a lot of things that if I could go back now I wouldnt buy and save myself a lot of money. One if these would be getting an all in one tank kit. I've literally replaced everything from that except the heater and actual tank. Could have bought a rimless tank and all accessories separately and still saved some money
Well, well, the learning curve

I've been throwing money at my 2.5G glorified box but regard it as a science project now to see what works for me and the plants before moving to something bigger (a 5 gallon perhaps? )

But getting this tank in the first place was just for an emergency when my kid showed up after school with a betta in a cup. It would have been difficult to justify a a huge purchase for a proper tank and good quality filter, lights, etc. After the betta had died, the tank was already there and I did not want to throw out the plants. So, I added a snail. So, I added a better light. So, I added more plants, So I replaced the filter. So, I replaced the gravel. So, I added more plants. So, I purchased a set of tools. So, I am going to add more plants. So, I am going to add a simple CO2 diffuser. So, I am going to add a beautiful, hand crafted drop checker

Advertisement
ayeayeron
Probably TETRA foods, they’re full of fillers and my fish don’t even like it.

sairving
I’d say seachem flourish. It smells absolutely terrible and if it gets on clothes you might as well throw them away. Not to mention it does absolutely nothing

And the bottle leaks from the top. I had to put mine in a gallon zip lock bag that just stank when it was opened. Switched to thrive c
I regret buying the entire Seachem fertilizer line. After having massive algae problem, several people suggested buying an all in one. Bought Thrive C and kept the Seachem Excel for algae.

My other regret was the awkwardly shaped scrubbing brush that isn't very useful.

tapwater
Worst product I got was the imagitarium 3.1 gal kit if I'm being honest. It might work well for other fish, but having a betta in it just kinda sucks. There's no easy way to put in a heater (the wire makes it so the lid doesn't close completely because there's no other place to thread it through), and every time I feed him I have to take off the lid (the small, sectioned hole they give you doesn't really help in feedings. a lot of the time the food gets stuck underneath it).

Fisch
Mine use them zero times. Floating log either.
That is funny, both my Bettas use the hammock as well as the log :) beside the many other resting places.

JLAquatics
Worst product (or products I should say) I bought were the heaps (over 60 dollars worth) of similar looking plastic plants in an effort to make an artificial aquascape when I just went ahead and made the real thing a few weeks later. Didn't realize then that I was just trying to make an aquascape without the benefits of real plants. Trust me in saying that this was one of the most illogical and stupid decisions I ever made...
Now I fear I may be a PlasticHoarder as well.

Advertisement
The2dCour
JLAquatics
Nobody said ammolock? pH up/down?
Yup, forgot to mention those. Still have some acid buffer sitting in the tank shelf never to be used again.

SouthAmericanCichlids
What was so bad about it.

JLAquatics
What was so bad about it.
I don't know if you are talking about the Acid Buffer from my response or not, but I don't like using it because it does not have the desirable effect on my water. The KH value is so high in my tank that the pH ititially goes down right when I first use it then shoots back up to where it was a few minutes later. Nope, I would rather have a stable not "ideal" Ph than Ph swings to stress my fishes.

The2dCour
pH down/up some people mistakenly add to their tank. straight acid. ammolock can stall a cycle and I think it had aloe?

add stress- anything products to the list. Imagine trying to breath aloe.

Advertisement
SouthAmericanCichlids
I don't know if you are talking about the Acid Buffer from my response or not, but I don't like using it because it does not have the desirable effect on my water. The KH value is so high in my tank that the pH will rapidly goes down right when I first use it then shoots back up to where it was a few minutes later. Nope, I would rather have a stable not "ideal" Ph than Ph swings to stress my fishes.
Thank you. I try to put the least into my tank, and get it the closest alighned with nature and consistancy is always best. But I would like to try GBR someday and my 8.4 ph doesn't help that dream.

JLAquatics
Thank you. I try to put the least into my tank, and get it the closest alighned with nature and consistancy is always best. But I would like to try GBR someday and my 8.4 ph doesn't help that dream.
Yup, sounds like you have a similar problem to what I am dealing with. Although sad that we miss out on some awesome fish, there are other fish that do like harder waters. Hopefully you can get an RO unit someday and get that GBR!

BevM
I have to agree with some of the others about the betta hammock. My betta ignores it, swims around it and in general ignores it. He is probably asking himself " why did she buy that thing?" Also some plastic plants I bought years ago when I first started.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Yup, sounds like you have a similar problem to what I am dealing with. Although sad that we miss out on some awesome fish, there are other fish that do like harder waters. Hopefully you can get an RO unit someday and get that GBR!
Wait that gives me an idea. What if the water purifier on our fridge "Went out" and I "found it" broken.

WagglePets
Hello! Happy Friday!

I was browsing the aisle at petco the other day and I was wondering, whats the worst fish product you've ever bought? Why?

-Anna (;
that water clarifier from tetra

StarGirl
Nobody said ammolock? pH up/down?
Definitely second on MY list besides the fixes....

Kribensis27
pH up/down?
I mentioned that one. I bought it forever ago because I thought my super hard water would be harmful. Well, it made my fish sick, so I stopped using it. Eventually, I went to throw it away, but it wasn't sealed correctly. I got a small drop on an orchid leaf by accident, and it literally burned the spot on the leaf it touched. And this was a Phalaenopsis orchid, which have very thick leaves. Never going near that stuff again.

CiwisAquatics
It was gifted to me, but, even though I'm still using it, I despise the Marineland Classic 4 gallon kit. It was a pain to set up and the filter failed within the first 24 hours of it running, & there's not really anywhere to put a heater because a wire won't fit through the hole in the lid. It's also acrylic and I'm not a fan of acrylic tanks.

sairving
I mentioned that one. I bought it forever ago because I thought my super hard water would be harmful. Well, it made my fish sick, so I stopped using it. Eventually, I went to throw it away, but it wasn't sealed correctly. I got a small drop on an orchid leaf by accident, and it literally burned the spot on the leaf it touched. And this was a Phalaenopsis orchid, which have very thick leaves. Never going near that stuff again.

I have some acid buffer. My ph shoots right back up 24 hours later. I've decided its easier to use something like peat to soften the water and drop the ph a little bit.

The2dCour
I have some acid buffer. My ph shoots right back up 24 hours later. I've decided its easier to use something like peat to soften the water and drop the ph a little bit.
I feel like the alkaline buffer is more useful, as a standalone product.

dwc13
I'll go with the somewhat expensive items I bought for a planned new aquarium or project but never actually used, such as a heater and a HOB filter. Waste of money, lol. Oh, and the 10G aquarium I started out with years ago. A week later, I knew I should have gone with a 20G tank from the beginning.

Catappa
A b
Ok.

Let’s get back on track. Another product I regret buying is Superfish tanks in general. The tank lights are really bright and the lids have little filtration of air causing condensation and limescale. They always come with filters that have no media so they’re not suitable for bare-bottom tanks. In the UK Fluval has a big presence and they do much better tanks, so I regret ever using Superfish tanks instead.
Thanks for the tip about Fluval. If I ever need more small tanks, I'll look into their offerings here in Holland.

A big store here had an amazing sale with Superfish 20 liter tanks some years ago and I bought about six of them. I knew I wasn't going to use the lights and I only use simple sponge filters. I was planning to have them for types of rare little Licorice Gouramis for the Parosphromenus Project. (Small tanks were recommended for breeding -- which I didn't really agree with.) However, my health challenges made participation in the project too difficult. I kept two of the tanks downstairs for isolation tanks (one for new plants, one for new nano fish). Eventually, everything was consigned to the attic. I just brought down two and am cycling them to use for isolation tanks again. I won't use the lights, and as in the past, will only use sponge filters. They are fine for the task, but I would never keep them for permanently keeping fish and certainly not use the lights! I gave their filters away.

dwc13
Plastic plants, thank God that was a very long time ago. IMO they are a waste of money and space in a tank.

While I generally wouldn't place them in a regular tank, plastic plants can be useful in an quarantine tank to provide a hiding place for the fish. They don't require maintenance, aren't affected by meds, and won't affect the oxygen level of the water.

I did anchor a plastic floating plant when my Honey Gourami made a bubble nest to help reduce the surface current and provide shelter for the fry.

DoubleDutch
A second hand filter. Leaking from the start and an urge emerging to run the seller over when I'd see him cross the street.

Msdp11009
Interesting what is said about seachem flourish right down to the lid not sealing. I did not care for it either and thought I bought the wrong thing for my javas. Tried awuarium coops “homemade” brand, and it is worse for my javas. They melt each time I use it. I use only a small amount. Not sure what i my water Is missing for java needs. But it is something. Right now I am adding nothing. My anubias thrive regardless.
Also good to hear to avoid adding plants like moneywort

I
I’m regretting gravel. I didn’t think I’d ever get live plants, but now I have a couple. I’ve also heard that gravel isn’t smooth enough for fish. I have no desire to replace it (newly cycled tank), and no idea what I’d put in instead.
I have liked carob sea river bottom sand (large grain/ smooth minute pebble) not sure what to call it. Very sand looking , dwarf cory safe, but not as fly away as regular sand

Hugooo
I've never heard of that. Please elaborate.
Do I have a thread for you! IslandVic wrote a long, nice article about DIY media linked here. You should totally read it! (Everyone should ) It's important to have DIY media in your tank because the cartridges that come with most filters are not sufficient (by themselves) whatsoever!
--
Probably all of the spiky & neon-colored plastic plants. I have no idea what to do with them now. I can’t stand them in any enclosure, terrestrial or aquatic.
This is me with all my old non-realistic decor, I'm like, what should I do with this stuff now? I know I can find a use for it
Worst product (or products I should say) I bought were the heaps (over 60 dollars worth) of similar looking plastic plants in an effort to make an artificial aquascape when I just went ahead and made the real thing a few weeks later. Didn't realize then that I was just trying to make an aquascape without the benefits of real plants. Trust me in saying that this was one of the most illogical and stupid decisions I ever made...
Now I fear I may be a PlasticHoarder as well.
a) Use them for quarantine tanks, b) Sell them on Craigslist or whatever, or c) Donate them to schools! (or other children, or something like that) They would probably be beneficial for art classes, e.g. melting them(?) and molding them into shapes like someone said, or something else, or just decorations for classrooms in general. Any other good ideas, anyone?
^^ And that goes out to everyone that bought plastic plants and doesn't like them!
--
Anyway, do I have a bad product for y'all! It's the Imagitarium 5.2 Gallon Aquarium! I got it last April. • First of all, the filter does basically nothing. I mean it keeps it cycled, but you can literally only put a cartridge in there, and it's impossible to clean.
• The lights (LED strips) are a) Awful quality, and b) They used to have like 8 colors, but it stopped working for some reason so now it only has like 3. And just to give you a description of how bad the lights are: with them, I couldn't even keep hornwort alive! And that's like the easiest plant! Also literally moss balls didn't grow in there at all! (I bought three, two i kept in that tank, and another one I kept in another tank. Eventually I put the other two in the second tank because they weren't growing and I noticed quite a different in size. :/)
• Another thing that's so annoying abt this tank is that the edges are curvy not flat (see pic in link), so it looks really distorted and ugly.
I mean I guess this probably isn't a surprise to any of you, I'm pretty sure Imagitarium isn't a fantastic brand. But that's my review I guess. Oh, and btw, it's $50 and you can probably get a 5g tank with separate accessories for cheaper.

Catappa
I’m regretting gravel. I didn’t think I’d ever get live plants, but now I have a couple. I’ve also heard that gravel isn’t smooth enough for fish. I have no desire to replace it (newly cycled tank), and no idea what I’d put in instead.
Don't give up on gravel just yet. (I see you don't wish to replace it, but I'm putting this info here for you.) For the past ( I don't know how many, more than 10) years, I've used Dennerle Chrystal Quartz gravel and also once used their finer (smaller) Nano Shimps Gravel Bed. Both of these have rounded edges and are safe for shrimp and bottom-dwelling fish. I always get black, but they are available in other colors, including natural sand colors. I've always used these gravels with aquarium plants and dwarf shrimp and am very happy with them.

The finer gravel is much more expensive and although the black color was more intense, my budget dictates that I go with the Chrystal gravel. I use it over a substrate (also from Dennerle -- I like their Deponit products) But there are probably other companies with similar products.

BlackOsprey
The cheap HOB filters and their "disposable" cartridges. It's better than nothing I guess, but you can get such better biocapacity just from a sponge filter for the same price or even less. Also, their marketing is a scam to get people to spend cash on new cartridges, which does nothing but toss out what little bacteria you might have in there. Bad design, bad intent, bad everything really.

Also, 99.9% of all "betta aquariums," especially the ones aimed towards kids. Some of those things are so pathetically small that I'm pretty sure the fish would be happier in a plastic shoebox.

sairving
The cheap HOB filters and their "disposable" cartridges. It's better than nothing I guess, but you can get such better biocapacity just from a sponge filter for the same price or even less. Also, their marketing is a scam to get people to spend cash on new cartridges, which does nothing but toss out what little bacteria you might have in there. Bad design, bad intent, bad everything really.

When I got back into the hobby, I was annoyed at the possibility of having to use filter cartridges. Then I watched a video which basically said dump the cartridge and use your own media and sponge. I realized I didn't need the stupid cartridges.

The time before when I had a tank, I raided my parents old fishkeeping supplies (broke highschool student). I ended up using an old box filter. Now, I realize that it's the same concept as a HOB, just powered by air instead. You can put sponge, bio-media etc in it and the poop stays contained when you clean it.

BlackOsprey
Oh, wanted to add: technically, Biorb aquariums. They're expensive as all get out, the filtration is basically a glorified undergravel system, said filter requires using this chunky, rough ceramic media that can't grow plants and is kind of dangerous for small fish, and the shape makes it difficult to decorate or add extra filtration of any kind.

That's not to say it has absolutely no potential. I own one, and it's beautifully planted with low-lighters and supports a small colony of shrimp and a happy scarlet badis. It's just that I had to pitch the ceramic media in favor of aquasoil to actually get that kind of growth (and to make it safer for critters) completely negating the "filtration" that Biorb is so proud of. Basically, in order to get the most out of this product, you'll have to not use one of its big features. It certainly does not justify the price tag.

Anyways the only reason I bought mine was because it came with a free established shrimp colony that should have cost at least $100 (assuming $5 per shrimp). If you're not getting one for a very good deal or free, it's not a justifiable purchase.

Msdp11009
I

I have liked carob sea river bottom sand (large grain/ smooth minute pebble) not sure what to call it. Very sand looking , dwarf cory safe, but not as fly away as regular sand
Oops caribsea peace river. Sorry.

my worst was an aqueon filter known for being quiet and it was so loud and rattly. I couldn’t even return it

Broggy
I JUST THOUGT OF THE WORST ONE EVER.

imagiterarium (Petco's brand) sells... are you ready for this? Bottled water. its on a killer deal of $10 for 2.5 gallons. its got all the bells and whistles having been UV purified and has electrolytes for your fish. the comments are hilarious as well, they act like this water is what saved their fish's lives.

Kribensis27

imagiterarium (Petco's brand) sells... are you ready for this? Bottled water. its on a killer deal of $10 for 2.5 gallons. its got all the bells and whistles having been UV purified and has electrolytes for your fish. the comments are hilarious as well, they act like this water is what saved their fish's lives.
My neighbors used to buy that stuff for their betta vase lol

SouthAmericanCichlids

I see this at petsmart and my lfs too. It is such a money grab, it actually makes me laugh that people buy this.

Deku-Cory
My neighbors used to buy that stuff for their betta vase lol
Imagine not wanting to buy an actual tank for your betta yet being willing to buy fancy water for it.

Kjelli
I regret buying a tetra filter and a top fin heater. You don't even know where your putting the actual temp using the dials and the tetra filter went out about 2 months after I bought it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
CoolChazz14
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views