Whats The White on My Bettas Fins? - and its NOT finrot

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a question about my betta, Oscar, .  he has two white strips on his side fins that are really long and the rest of them is blue - doesn't this mean its a good time to breed him?  or is he sick?  thnx Miley can somebody please help? Miley

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The white on his fins is probably just his coloration. Breeding stripes only appear on females, not males. I would not try to breed your fish! It takes a lot of knowledge and equipment. It cannot be done in one tank. Properly done you could end up with over one hundred fry who need to be in SEPARATE containers with daily water changes. Then there's also the problem of finding homes for them... Breeding Bettas should be left to professionals.
Just enjoy your little guy on his own and learn all you can about taking care of Bettas. Make sure he is in a cycled tank and has proper food and is not overfed.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah -
my sis and i weren't successful when we tried to breed my last betta and hers. so we gave up... also yeah it may just be his coloration... hes a sweet fish and very trusting. i plan to get him a bigger tank them a few snails for the 1.5 gal tank. then get more tanks and maybe at some point some bala sharks if i have a large enough tank... Miley

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't get any snails for your tanks, especially more than one. They create a TON of waste and can pollute the water so bad they kill themselves and the fish.
Also, PLEASE read the section on this site about cycling a tank. You will NEED water testing kits and need to know what the readings mean. I'm worried your new Betta may not survive without proper care and a cycled, heated and filtered tank. I know you love him but they need more than that to survive. Please ask questions here if you don't understand how to cycle a tank and before doing anything you are not sure about. Also don't put him together with any tankmates without asking here first (including a female Betta). They are really best on their own.
If he is in a 1.5 gallon tank the water will need to be changed 100% every day to keep up with the ammonia levels and the water needs to be conditioned to remove harmful chlorine and chloramines. This is why a large filtered, heated  and cycled tank is so much better. He will not need to be handled and netted so much and not need to suffer ammonia spikes every day.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok - how many days should i go before a water change (full ) in a 1.5 gal when i do partials every day? Miley

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you do a 50% every day you should not ever have to do a full change.

Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thnx!! also when i do 50% changes do i need to take him out or can i just scoop the water out and then add dechlorinated water back to it gradually? thnx Miley

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
LilNeonLover said:
thnx!!  also when i do 50% changes do i need to take him out or can i just scoop the water out and then add dechlorinated water back to it gradually?  thnx Miley
No.  See your other post for explanation.

Mike

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thnx to all of you , Miley

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom