Whats the smallest fresh water fish you can think of?

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd go with some classic Pygmy corys, they get to be about 1 to 1 and a half inches
Pygmy cories can't go in a 10 gallon, you need at least 6 of them and they are as active as normal corys. When stocking a tank you can't judge just by size and bioload. Activeness is also an important factor.

nacPhoenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Check out Rachel O'leary's channel - she does a ton of profiles on nano fish and care requirements, fish that are unusual too

https://www.youtube.com/user/msjinkzd
Can't agree more with razzda!!!!!
Rachel oleery does a very good job giving the general information in short videos, and if you see one that might interest you you can go look at more info

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I was younger, the two common dwarf Corydoras were pygmaeus and hastatus. Of the two, I preferred Corydoras hastatus, but of course that's the one that nearly vanished from the hobby. It is very hard to find these days. They do not sit on the bottom like Corydoras habrosus, which acts more like a "real" Corydoras.

propernoun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Panda loaches are adorable, I really want some now...
Definitely get some if you can, they have great outgoing personalities and explore every inch of the tank for edible algae like hyper RCS.

My one issue is that they're so small (and curious) that they wander in and out of my filter compartment as they please. The first few times they did this I would turn off the power, removed the media basket, and wait patiently for them to come out but that got old fast so I stopped doing it and there hasn't been any fatalities. They're shaped like hillstream loachs and can handle strong currents just fine, they're probably really enjoying themselves in there actually. Still, I do hope they grow out of that annoying habit. Makes me worry..

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It makes me want to do them with bettas, although I'm fairly certain they aren't compatible, but I think they'd look great together.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are some small ones known to science, but not in the hobby. There is a miniscule Danio.
The smallest I have seen are male Heterandria formosa (least killifish). Some of the little Rasboras, like Bororas brigittae, are really tiny too.

char89lotte

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry .. but just wondering if someone can tell me how I can start my own post on here? My account is activated but I can't seem to find where to start a post anywhere? Thanks

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry .. but just wondering if someone can tell me how I can start my own post on here? My account is activated but I can't seem to find where to start a post anywhere? Thanks
Go on to the topic you want and then there is a "post new thread" on the grey strip at the top! Also WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom