What's the right specific gravity for my tank?

Fishproblem
Hello fishlore! So I've got my salt and I'm ready to mix my first batch of saltwater! But I'm seeing some conflicting opinions on what specific gravity I need for my pico reef. I had thought that 1.026, but now I'm seeing other sites recommend 1.023-1.025.

What's best practice for choosing specific gravity, or most commonly used specific gravity for reef tanks?

HarrisonAquatics
For a pico, I think your best bet is to mix around 1.025. It gives you a little bit of wiggle room to avoid high SG when you get some inevitable evaporation.

Fishproblem
HarrisonAquatics said:
For a pico, I think your best bet is to mix around 1.025. It gives you a little bit of wiggle room to avoid high SG when you get some inevitable evaporation.
Thanks for the response! I wondered about leaving some room for salinity swings. I don't have it yet, but i'll be getting an ATO system before corals go in. If that eliminates salinity issues, is there a SG that might be better, or should I still stick around 1.025?

HarrisonAquatics
Fishproblem said:
Thanks for the response! I wondered about leaving some room for salinity swings. I don't have it yet, but i'll be getting an ATO system before corals go in. If that eliminates salinity issues, is there a SG that might be better, or should I still stick around 1.025?
I'd honestly say that anything between 1.024-1.027 is just fine for the majority of corals and such. Stability is more important - an ATO will help immensely. I run my reef tanks at 1.025, regardless of size, in case I miss a top-off or my ATO runs dry and I don't notice.

Fishproblem
HarrisonAquatics said:
I'd honestly say that anything between 1.024-1.027 is just fine for the majority of corals and such. Stability is more important - an ATO will help immensely. I run my reef tanks at 1.025, regardless of size, in case I miss a top-off or my ATO runs dry and I don't notice.
Awesome! I'll try to keep it at 1.025 then. Thanks for the advice!

Jesterrace
Fishproblem said:
Awesome! I'll try to keep it at 1.025 then. Thanks for the advice!
Agreed. 1.025 is generally considered the sweet spot for corals and fish. Not a big deal if it's a little higher or lower, but corals definitely prefer water on the saltier side.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom