whats the proper way

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by PuffPuff, Jul 17, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

i use api tap water conditioner and stress coat for my water changes. but i hear many use prime only.
    what is the deal here? whats the proper way to do such a change

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like what you are doing is redundant, since Stress Coat has the features of the tap water conditioner in addition to reducing stress. Seachem Prime does the same thing as both of these and adds something to the slime coat of the fish.

3. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

so i should just use prime which will be better then stress coat since it adds to the slime coat.

4. Dom90

Yes, and like I said in the other thread, it also detoxifies the ammonia and nitrite before the bio-filter can metabolize those.

5. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

so i should stop buying the other 2 products then. Prime sounds a lot more beneficial

6. Dom90

Yea I started using API Water Conditioner a couple years ago when I first started out that still hasnt been used, I think the bottle is still sitting somewhere on one of my garage shelves... I should probably find it and toss it out.

7. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

wow, well i wish i found this forum before i started this hobby. i would of saved lots of money. thanks LFS chain...

8. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

I use Prime but there is no right way when it comes to brands. Plenty others have been successful for years using other products.

If you test your water parameters, follow the products directions, conduct scheduled water changes and observe your fish for any change in behavior you won't have a problem.

9. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

i always use the conditioner in order to use my tap water. now its going to be weird with just adding the prime only.

10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

As long as your tank is cycled any conditioner will do.
    If there are chloramines in your tap water make sure the conditioner you use neutralizes it.

I use Prime since it is more cost effective.

11. Dom90

Any idea if the API water conditioner neutralizes chloramines? But then the OP might have a bit of it converted into ammonia, does it detox the ammonia also? If he can finish the API he won't have to waste money by discarding it in favor of Prime...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

API SC/WC Removes chlorine and chloramines and neutralizes heavy metals. I use both Prime and API Stress Coat/Water Conditioner. Prime is 95% used and I only resort to API SC when there is major changes being done to their environment. Prime is way more cost effective then API SC but does not have the additional elements of API SC. When my pond had the mishap last year prime only did what it could for chlorination but it was the use of Himalayan salts and API SC that saved their lives.

More on API SC here  

API SC adds to slime coat production and also contains aloe vera where in the case such as a scrape or open wound this is more beneficial then prime. Prime stimulates slime coat product but does not give them more slime coat. API SC does much the same as Prime but has the added elements as mentioned and adds to their slime coat a protective/healing coating.

13. Dom90

So am I right in saying the OP was being redundant in using both API products?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

I agree with everyone here saying that prime is more cost effective, I used to use a water conditioner that my LFS makes. 5mL did10 gallons I believe, but when I found out that 5mL of prime did 50 gallons I was sold lol.

15. Dadio

Yes, he need only use one or the other and I would prefer API SC over just the WC.

16. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Just Prime. :) I used to use aquarium salt but I cut that out after coming here and finding that it wasn't necessary.

17. Dadio

Prime for the aspect of treating the water yes 99.9% of the time but sometimes the added elements of API SC can play an important role for not just water treatment. As stated, prime will increase a slime coat somewhat, but not in the same manner or with healing properties such as API SC. Prime is my mainstay but I always have the API SC on hand when something more is needed than just water treatment.

18. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Exactly this. I always use Prime for cost reasons, but I always keep stress coat on hand for when the fish are injured or diseased.

19. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, based on what I've read, Stress Coat is something good to have on hand, too. :)

20. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

glad i made this thread, i learned so much on this matter. i will follow with your guidlines Dadio
    thank you all as well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice