What's The Point Of Top Swimmers

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Buy platies for all-over swimmers, they eat with the cories.

Get danios... and same thing!

Every fish ends up joining the loaches and cories for lunch anyways lol

Husband complains that we have no fish in the top of the tank, but hey its not for lack of trying. The cories are the cool kids everyone wants to be around.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am giving the grazer tabs a try to attempt to entice the fish that are not bottom dweller/feeder to use the remaining 99% of the aquarium at breakfast

Have to admit that the fish did look at me a bit odd when I stuck the grazer tab onto the side near the top and they did keep looking at the tab then the food down on the floor, back at the tab etc a few times

Of course then you have the clever-clogs who attacks the grazer tab then goes and joins the cories anyway....

(Getting your non-cory fish to act like fish and not hoovers is about as easy as finding contraception for the cories..... )

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
pagoda said:
I am giving the grazer tabs a try to attempt to entice the fish that are not bottom dweller/feeder to use the remaining 99% of the aquarium at breakfast

Have to admit that the fish did look at me a bit odd when I stuck the grazer tab onto the side near the top and they did keep looking at the tab then the food down on the floor, back at the tab etc a few times

Of course then you have the clever-clogs who attacks the grazer tab then goes and joins the cories anyway....

(Getting your non-cory fish to act like fish and not hoovers is about as easy as finding contraception for the cories..... )
Im thinking all my cories arent grown enough to be mature because i have no spawning from mine. I know at least ONE of the trilineatus is female, shes small but chunky. The peppers i cant tell enough, one im unsure of the other two seem male. Theyre larger but still not full grown. Only babies in the tank are baby platies (theres between 10-15 in there).

Most the danios attack the food before the bottoms get to it but a couple danios will go down too after anyways lol

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Cories are breeding like rabbits....started with 4 Bronze, they spread caviar everywhere, produced two, the original 4 spread caviar everywhere again, produced four, spread caviar everywhere again and produced two

They have no idea yet but next week I am going to catch a few and shift them to one of the other aquariums cos my original aquarium is getting close to Cory standing room only

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
pagoda said:
My Cories are breeding like rabbits....started with 4 Bronze, they spread caviar everywhere, produced two, the original 4 spread caviar everywhere again, produced four, spread caviar everywhere again and produced two

They have no idea yet but next week I am going to catch a few and shift them to one of the other aquariums cos my original aquarium is getting close to Cory standing room only
Not here, though i wouldnt complain. Im thinking the cories say theyre the centerpiece. Theyre so active they draw the most attention lol

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do cool water water changes....kicks of the "lets get jiggy with it" mode

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
pagoda said:
Do cool water water changes....kicks of the "lets get jiggy with it" mode
Lol but i already use the coldest water in the tap for water changes because its the exact temp of my tank (77F)
They glass surf a LOT after water changes though. Following one another around. Crappy photo, but this was last night.
I do daily small (15-20%) changes.

Attachments

Corydork

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Who needs any but cories anyways? I love it when cories „glass surf“, which is probably why I do so many more water changes in my cory-only tanks. Not like I’m picking favorites though, pfft. Nope, not me (but if I were to, it would be cories).

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My cories swim everywhere. They’re cute! I finally have a tank with high swimmers middle and bottom and I love it. It’s like highways that don’t really bypass.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Corydork said:
Who needs any but cories anyways? I love it when cories „glass surf“, which is probably why I do so many more water changes in my cory-only tanks. Not like I’m picking favorites though, pfft. Nope, not me (but if I were to, it would be cories).
Hahahaha right

Drewbacca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
White Cloud Mountain Minnows are top swimmers and tend to stay up there. That said, they’re colder water fish, so you might not want them if you have warmer water (they’re pretty tough though). I’ve also had Zebra Danios that swim absolutely everywhere but tend to stay up top.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Drewbacca said:
White Cloud Mountain Minnows are top swimmers and tend to stay up there. That said, they’re colder water fish, so you might not want them if you have warmer water (they’re pretty tough though). I’ve also had Zebra Danios that swim absolutely everywhere but tend to stay up top.
If MissNoodle gets WCMMs we'll need to re-look at them as bottom dwelling fish :p

MissPanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's why i want hatchetfish. They better stay up top.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Im actually having PROBLEMS with my danios being too much at the bottom.

They steal all the cory food until theyre so bloated and fat they permanently disfigure their bellies and have swimming issues that wont resolve.

Ive moved 6 to another tank and my coworker is taking 5 others to be friends with her single zebra danio.

Its for their own good, the pigs.

That said, ive gotten black neon tetras and they like the bottom too

Heck id probably make an African butterfly fish a bottom swimmer if it was in my tank

Dunk2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MissPanda said:
That's why i want hatchetfish. They better stay up top.
Golden Wonder Killifish are also a good top dweller choice!

F1E600F6-C6F2-4D7E-A659-C4743F491924.jpeg

Corydork

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
MissNoodle said:
Im actually having PROBLEMS with my danios being too much at the bottom.

They steal all the cory food until theyre so bloated and fat they permanently disfigure their bellies and have swimming issues that wont resolve.

Ive moved 6 to another tank and my coworker is taking 5 others to be friends with her single zebra danio.

Its for their own good, the pigs.

That said, ive gotten black neon tetras and they like the bottom too

Heck id probably make an African butterfly fish a bottom swimmer if it was in my tank
It seems you’ve got a skill in making fish go against their DNA, quite impressive.
I got an angelfish and a blue acara that I was hoping would be mid level swimmers, but instead they sit at the bottom and steal all the Cory pellets I feed, and ignore their cichlid pellets and flakes. I agree, cories definitely must be the cool kids of the tank, because everyone else joins them on the bottom.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Corydork said:
It seems you’ve got a skill in making fish go against their DNA, quite impressive.
I got an angelfish and a blue acara that I was hoping would be mid level swimmers, but instead they sit at the bottom and steal all the Cory pellets I feed, and ignore their cichlid pellets and flakes. I agree, cories definitely must be the cool kids of the tank, because everyone else joins them on the bottom.
They are food finding machines haha

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom