Whats The Point Of Going To Led Over T5s

Candymancan21

Question for you guys.. Been in the hobby for 20 years now. And I currently gave a 92g corner bowfront a 30 gallon long tank and a 135g 6 foot tank which is in my bedroom.

All the tamks currently use a mixture if lights mainly because its what I had and I didnt want to spend 400+$ upgrading them all.

The 92g tank uses a 65 watt power compact light, this I will need to upgrade sooner then later as they don't make the bulbs and no one has them not even amazon or ebay. The 30 gallon uses a duel T5 normal output light and its original T8 hood because the T5 fixtuture can't cover the top of the tank very well in the front top or rear top as it sits directly on the glass hood make sense ? But it works great and algae is at a min..

I dabbled into LEDS in 2009 and bought a 36 inch fluval LED light bar its just the basic white leds with 6 blue leds. Was 90$ and on using it on the 30 gallon tank it just caused stupid algae growth.. On the 92g tank.. whatever it touches it grows black beard algae.. but oddly for the 92g tank its wayyy too dI'm to really make the tank light up like the power compact does so I just shelved it.

My 135g I have two 48 inch duel T5 Normal output lights.. due to the tank being 72 inch long I put one light in the front right and it entends only to the middle and the other ligjt starts in the rear left and both meet in the middle sligjtly passed eachother.. which covers all 72 inches but it left dark spots in the two corners the lights miss the rear right and from left.. So I put two T8 24 inch hoods I have one in each corner and it worked out good.

The T5s pen the depth and tank perfectly all my plants grow it isn't too bright.. and I just replace the bulbs every 1 to 2 years. They are super cheap on amazon. I don't need high output fixtures.. the bulbs are all high output these days they dint make normaloutput but HO works in NO fixtures they just don't run at HO.

The setup just plain works.. but its a little messy. It only uses 142 watts total.. Looking at 72 inch LED light bars they are all mostly .5w per led and 174 leds.. which is 87w of power so id save onky 60 watts of power. Which isn't a lot of power to be honest.

And I'm afraid one LED light bar may not be enough for a tank like this as the back and front will probly have dark spots like it did with my t5 lights and my 30 gallon tank.

Using the legs will raise it up of course and fix that but the tank is in my room and leds go into your eyes which you all know so ill need it laying on the glass top.

Plus I keep reading led light bars usually all go bad after 1-3 years.. unless you spend 200$ or more..

Soo 60 watts of power savings vs 200$ or **** 75$ for the aquaneat one which has defective power supplies so ill have to spend 30$ on a power supply.. so 100$ I wouldnt save 100$ in probly 7 years of 60 watts less power.. I might with bulbs though.. as just gettting two t8 bulbs costed 20$ yesturday

So why LEDS ? if my tank is lit up just fine has 0 algae plants all grow why have people switched ? I can see maybe if you habe High output t5s and 4 of them which uses like 216w of power.. youd ssve over 130w of power that's a good amount but still to me 100w is nothing my lava lamp uses a 100w bulb for crying out loud lol.

Also don't LEDS look too aritifical to you guys... The fluval light I jave makes it look crystal clear and all shimmery on the surface but that gets old quick and looks fake to me..

And doesn't blue light in fresh water cause algae.. Why do the full spectrim lights have an even amount of BLUE leds to white LEDS.. and why are a lot of them 10k white... So its ligjt you got 10k white which is a blue spectrum and then actinic blues all I can ever see happening is algae growth everywhere like green spot algae.

I forgot to mention I do use two 65w power compact lights positied to point behind my tank. they are actinic bbs.. they make the wall blue and it looks awsome here isa pic.

If I gey an led light bar.. I can get two t8 actinic lights for my 24 inch hood and thays only 30w of power vs 130w.. So savings in wattage would be like 130w total then with the led.. so I guess its a good savings on power but still.

Here is my tank... My plants look terrible because I medicated my tank for a few weeks due to my discus getting ill so it wiped out my tank but you get the idea.

20180918_140417.jpg

Attachments

• 20180918_140417.jpg
    20180918_140417.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 74

Bryangar

Is this a question or a rant? lol

I use LEDs because I don’t want a large brick on top of my tank. The initial start up price is expensive, but you save in energy consumption.

LEDs are more of a direct light, while T5s have a better spread. So that’s a negative I guess.

Candymancan21

But my T5 ligjt fixtures are actually smaller then a LED fixture. I have two Aqueon T5NO fixtures.. Look em up they are tiny not a brick.

Its both rant and a quesrion on why should I upgrade and what is the real benefit ?

The whole energy saving thing to me is a gimmick... Its like my paid for 1989 V8 Jeep that gets 11mpg.. Vs a prand new Hybrid car.. You have high property taxes.. car insurance. car payments all to get 50mpg.. I save more money getting crappy gas mileage then I do with a hybrid.

So if I keep my light fixture ill save 100-200$ and do you really think 100w less power pays for itself for the 200$ price tag ? It doesn't if you do the math on power consumption and how much your power company charges.. An LED fixture would litterally only pay for itsrlf in power savings over multitudes of years... and by that time would the light still be working or would you need to buy a new one... I just don't get it lol

Bryangar

But my T5 ligjt fixtures are actually smaller then a LED fixture. I have two Aqueon T5NO fixtures.. Look em up they are tiny not a brick.

Its both rant and a quesrion on why should I upgrade and what is the real benefit ?
They look like normal T5 light fixtures. LEDs are slimmer and give a “cleaner” look to the tank.

There really is no benefit...unless you buy an LED that you can modify the intensity and color spectrum. If not then IMO a T5 is better(other than the wattage) would be better since you can change out the bulbs and change it up how you want, compared to a beamswork, nicrew and aquanet LED.

Candymancan21

I edited my post and added more.

They are barely 1 inch tall and 2-3 inches wide.. An LED fixture isn't much smaller lol.. Now my power compact fixture sure

oOBlueOo

I prefer T5HO just because I got all my fixtures on sale and I can replace the bulbs cheap.

Just for kicks, I got an aqueon led fixture on sale also, and stuck it on a 10 gallon and EVERYTHING grew. Algae and lots of it. Granted, I probably shouldn't have put a 3 build fixture on there.

Candymancan21

That's what I noticed with the fluval algae magnet crazy and it isn't a veey bright LED can barely penetrate a 24 inch tall tank.. Its just white leds with 6 blue nothing crazy...

Candymancan21

They look like normal T5 light fixtures. LEDs are slimmer and give a “cleaner” look to the tank.

There really is no benefit...unless you buy an LED that you can modify the intensity and color spectrum. If not then IMO a T5 is better(other than the wattage) would be better since you can change out the bulbs and change it up how you want, compared to a beamswork, nicrew and aquanet LED.

If you were to buy a 72 inch LED for a 135 gallon tank what would you buy then... I have black substrate.. Nothing high ligjt intensity plant wise just anubias. java fern.. teletharar renekie which is a red stem plant.. Swords and a fee other lower light plants.. I habe discus and neons and diamond tetras.

And can one 72 inch led cover the entire tank with no dark corners or dark back or dark front.. I noticed with the duel T5 lights even on a 55 gallon tank I needed two fixtures to get complete coverage and deff with the 18 inch front to back 135..

The one I was looking at was the aquaneat full spectrum or the aquaneat remote control.. The remote one allows me to set light intensity and change the center strip from red to blue to green and all colors in netween.

the full spectrum is basically half white 10k half blue with some red and greens.

Kathryn Crook

Meh, its new technology people are fiddling with. In time I'm sure it will be perfected. Old school growers don't like LED’s for their pot yet either!

Candymancan21

Well I'm not trying to be old school I wouldnt mind trying leds on my tank but I'm trying to figire out if its really worth it.

You saw the pic of my tank right.. Would an led really do any better then that ? Id also probly need two 72 inch lights I have this odd feeling 1 in the center won't cover the tabk properly.. Its like that with t5 strips so I don't see why an led wouldnt be any diff.

You know what I mean right ? put a light in the middle and front top and back top of a tank are dark. You need two lights front and back to really full cover the tank unless your light is hanging in the air.

Also looking more at the aquaneat full spectrum It just looks too blue.. it basically habe blue half white and like 10 red and green leds.

Uhg... Its like I want to upgrade but then its like meh do I really need too and which one to get..?

Kathryn Crook

Well I'm not trying to be old school I wouldnt mind trying leds on my tank but I'm trying to figire out if its really worth it.

You saw the pic of my tank right.. Would an led really do any better then that ? Id also probly need two 72 inch lights I have this odd feeling 1 in the center won't cover the tabk properly.. Its like that with t5 strips so I don't see why an led wouldnt be any diff.

You know what I mean right ? put a light in the middle and front top and back top of a tank are dark. You need two lights front and back to really full cover the tank unless your light is hanging in the air.

Also looking more at the aquaneat full spectrum It just looks too blue.. it basically habe blue half white and like 10 red and green leds.

Uhg... Its like I want to upgrade but then its like meh do I really need too and which one to get..?
If you like what you have, I don't see the point in upgrading, I still drive a 20 year old truck....would GPS be nice in it? Yes! Am I gonna pay 35k to get it? Hecks no! Haha!

Candymancan21

Yea and I dunno I don't like the blue leds all these fixtures have.... Am I wrong ? Blue light to me might help pop colors out.. but only in small amounts.. Too much blue makes green plants look washed out vs iradiated same with colored fish like red or yellow fish they look washed out. My tabk has the blue in the background but that lights up the wall not inside the tank

Kalyke

I have 3 LED lights built for aquariums. None were over 30 dollars.
I have actually been looking into using LED shop lights. I also have an orchid collecting and growing hobby, so in the winter especially, I need lights. I want them to be cool burning (not provide additional heat), cheap, and have a lot of FC. 4000 would be nice. They also use very little energy and last a long time. I only actually plan on having 2-3 aquariums, all large, so I won't have a "fish room" or anything like that. I suppose since I am new to the hobby and started with LED's with just a short time of using a used up old tank light my brother loaned me, I will stick with LEDs.

Candymancan21

Problem with shop leds from lowes and home depot is they are all 4000k. Too yellow for aquariums.

Thunder_o_b

Apples to apples. Quality LED for plants.

1. You do not ned to change the bulbs yearly.

2. Complete control over the light spectrum.

3. Far less heat. No need for chillers for reefs.

4. Lower energy costs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Question
Replies
Views
PhantomTetra88
Replies
Views
86 ssinit