What's the most you would pay for a fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazedACD, Apr 6, 2010.

1. crazedACD

crazedACD Valued Member Member

:;hi1

Spotted some "blue eye plecos" going for $750-$1,100....WHOLESALE...the other day, blew me away. Was just wondering what's the most you guys would pay for a single fish? What's the most you have spent?

I don't really have an issue paying up to maybe $100 for something really nice, but I don't like paying more than $10 or so for schooling fish (like Roseline Torpedo Barbs...). I noticed on the electric blue ram thread, most said the $20 price tag stopped them, I was pretty surprised...haha if I like it, I will pay for it.

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say 30-ish... no way would i pay 750!

3. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'll pay up to $50 for a saltwater fish (non-schooling of course) if I really, really want it.

Freshies, Aquabid's going to give us the final answer, but I don't like to go over $15 if I can help it, schooling fish, not over $5-10.

Any cichlids that I really, really want, I'll go up to $30 each.

4. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

I find I get into trouble if I spend over $15 on any fish... (oops to the 2 clown loaches I bought at that price!).

Sometimes it's not a matter of what WOULD you spend, but what CAN you spend.

If I could get my hands on a breeding pair of rare fish, that I knew I could sell the fry from, I would justify the 'capital outlay' to myself. Justifying to my partner would be nearly impossible... ;D

5. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I'll pay probably up to 5 dollars for a schooling fish, 20 if its a fish I REALLY want.... as a poor student I really don't have money just laying around...

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The most I've paid was $70 for a yasha goby. I'll spend money on stuff that's really cool if I have the money to spend.

7. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Schooling fish probaly no more then $5 (for one fish)
    Common fish probaly at least 20 bucks
    Rare fish i pay around 50 bucks depending on the fish and the quality

CB

8. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Depends, are we talking fish alone or fish + shipping to get the fish?
    The most I've spent on an individual fish was $50 each for three "Massive" fancy goldies (RIP gang) However I've spent 20-25 on each of my breeding betta's (before shipping) and generally a buying a medium sized fancy goldie is $10+

9. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

If you count shipping with importation I have spent $125.00 each for rare or different cories. The shipping almost double the price.

I just recieved 2 new groups C.Tukano and C. Negro and $395.00 for the fish about 25 per fish not to bad. Shipping $220.00 from germany to transhipper 1.75 per fish another $35.00 and then $45.00 for him to ship them to me. $695.00 for 20 fish. They sent 8 bounes 102's and 5 were doa.

10. A

Ay1a Valued Member Member

Seeing how I'm pretty new to the hobby I'd say around $25 but once I get more into it (If I can get good at it) I'm sure I'd probably go to $100 depending on the fish.

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Im looking at $60 for the pair of albino angelfish. its not that each fish is 30, but since im ordering them online i am getting 6 to keep 2. my LFS will take the extras, but wont give me a dollar for them. so, i guess $30-$50. if there was a fish i HAD to have id go up to $100 i guess.

12. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I've paid $250 for a Pin-Striped Pleco. I think that would be about the limit for what I'd be willing to spend on a single fish. The next most expensive was $140 for a Discus. (They are still really expensive over here)

13. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

Paid 35 for my arowana. Also paid 200 bucks for the vet. To take a culture test.
    Also paid 235 bucks for a new fluval fx5, but I think it was at a good price. No tax too!!

14. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I'm going to sound poor but $15 for my syno cat...

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I paid $30 for Lovely, my Love Heart Bloody Parrot that has no tail.

Ken

16. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

As I become more knowledgeable about fishkeeping, I'm sure I'd risk paying a higher price.

As it stands right now, I've spent $30 on a parrot. That's probably my top range right now. In the future? Who knows..... :party0049:

17. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

So, all of you who spend large amounts on a single fish - aren't you worried that it won't make it?

18. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw, I'd love to see that! Pics...!!??

I paid, um, £15 for a betta, I don't know what the conversion rate is lol, but I don't have the money to spend any more than that!

19. CHoffman

CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

The most I've paid was 20 not including shipping

20. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That's always a risk, but I usually only buy the more expensive fish from other fishkeepers or my favorite LFS who I know keeps high quality healthy fish.

My heart can overtake my brain (and has on occasion) where I'll spend more on a sick fish in hopes I can bring it back to full health.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice