What's the most you would pay for a fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazedACD, Apr 6, 2010.

1. crazedACD

crazedACDValued MemberMember

:;hi1

Spotted some "blue eye plecos" going for $750-$1,100....WHOLESALE...the other day, blew me away. Was just wondering what's the most you guys would pay for a single fish? What's the most you have spent?

I don't really have an issue paying up to maybe $100 for something really nice, but I don't like paying more than $10 or so for schooling fish (like Roseline Torpedo Barbs...). I noticed on the electric blue ram thread, most said the $20 price tag stopped them, I was pretty surprised...haha if I like it, I will pay for it.

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I'd say 30-ish... no way would i pay 750!

3. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I'll pay up to $50 for a saltwater fish (non-schooling of course) if I really, really want it.

Freshies, Aquabid's going to give us the final answer, but I don't like to go over $15 if I can help it, schooling fish, not over $5-10.

Any cichlids that I really, really want, I'll go up to $30 each.

4. bubblynutter

bubblynutterWell Known MemberMember

I find I get into trouble if I spend over $15 on any fish... (oops to the 2 clown loaches I bought at that price!).

Sometimes it's not a matter of what WOULD you spend, but what CAN you spend.

If I could get my hands on a breeding pair of rare fish, that I knew I could sell the fry from, I would justify the 'capital outlay' to myself. Justifying to my partner would be nearly impossible... ;D

5. angelfish220

angelfish220Well Known MemberMember

I'll pay probably up to 5 dollars for a schooling fish, 20 if its a fish I REALLY want.... as a poor student I really don't have money just laying around...

6. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

The most I've paid was $70 for a yasha goby. I'll spend money on stuff that's really cool if I have the money to spend.

7. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

Schooling fish probaly no more then $5 (for one fish)
    Common fish probaly at least 20 bucks
    Rare fish i pay around 50 bucks depending on the fish and the quality

CB

8. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Depends, are we talking fish alone or fish + shipping to get the fish?
    The most I've spent on an individual fish was $50 each for three "Massive" fancy goldies (RIP gang) However I've spent 20-25 on each of my breeding betta's (before shipping) and generally a buying a medium sized fancy goldie is $10+

9. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNAValued MemberMember

If you count shipping with importation I have spent $125.00 each for rare or different cories. The shipping almost double the price.

I just recieved 2 new groups C.Tukano and C. Negro and $395.00 for the fish about 25 per fish not to bad. Shipping $220.00 from germany to transhipper 1.75 per fish another $35.00 and then $45.00 for him to ship them to me. $695.00 for 20 fish. They sent 8 bounes 102's and 5 were doa.

10. Ay1a

Ay1aValued MemberMember

Seeing how I'm pretty new to the hobby I'd say around $25 but once I get more into it (If I can get good at it) I'm sure I'd probably go to $100 depending on the fish.

11. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Im looking at $60 for the pair of albino angelfish. its not that each fish is 30, but since im ordering them online i am getting 6 to keep 2. my LFS will take the extras, but wont give me a dollar for them. so, i guess $30-$50. if there was a fish i HAD to have id go up to $100 i guess.

12. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I've paid $250 for a Pin-Striped Pleco. I think that would be about the limit for what I'd be willing to spend on a single fish. The next most expensive was $140 for a Discus. (They are still really expensive over here)

13. leeishom

leeishomValued MemberMember

Paid 35 for my arowana. Also paid 200 bucks for the vet. To take a culture test.
    Also paid 235 bucks for a new fluval fx5, but I think it was at a good price. No tax too!!

14. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17Well Known MemberMember

I'm going to sound poor but $15 for my syno cat...

15. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I paid $30 for Lovely, my Love Heart Bloody Parrot that has no tail.

Ken

16. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

As I become more knowledgeable about fishkeeping, I'm sure I'd risk paying a higher price.

As it stands right now, I've spent $30 on a parrot. That's probably my top range right now. In the future? Who knows..... :party0049:

17. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

So, all of you who spend large amounts on a single fish - aren't you worried that it won't make it?

18. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Aw, I'd love to see that! Pics...!!??

I paid, um, £15 for a betta, I don't know what the conversion rate is lol, but I don't have the money to spend any more than that!

19. CHoffman

CHoffmanFishlore VIPMember

The most I've paid was 20 not including shipping

20. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

That's always a risk, but I usually only buy the more expensive fish from other fishkeepers or my favorite LFS who I know keeps high quality healthy fish.

My heart can overtake my brain (and has on occasion) where I'll spend more on a sick fish in hopes I can bring it back to full health.