What's The Minimum Tank Size I Would Need For This Stocking? Question

1. Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

In a strange case of reverse MTS, I am thinking of amalgamating my tanks into one :) Would anyone be able to advise on the minimum tank size for the following stock? I know bigger is always better, but space is very restricted so I'd really like to know the absolute minimum - I'd be doing strict weekly 50%+ water changes, the tank would be heavily planted, and I can over-filter the tank as much as necessary. I would not be adding anything else to the stock in the future.

12 neon tetras
    10 harlequin rasboras
    6 albino corydoras
    6 panda corydoras
    1 dwarf gourami

Thanks in advance!

2. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

The pandas are not temp compatable with the gourami. 72 degrees F is the lowest threshold for most of the other fish you have listed. You may want to swap those out.
    Maybe a 40 gallon breeder on this stocking.

3. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

You could get by at 74 degrees, but it’s not ideal for the Albinos or DG.

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm pretty sure I read that panda cories are notorious for cross-breeding so it's best to avoid them with other cory species. @DoubleDutch

I think all those fish together would be temp compatible around 74F. If you were going to have shoals of two cory species, I'd probably get at least a 36" or 48" long tank min.

5. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I would stick with just one Cory Species unless you get a 50+. I would also swap the Dwarf Gourami with a fish like the Honey Gourami because the Dwarf needs warmer temps. than the other fish. If you did this stock you could do this in a 30 Long.

6. Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

Thank you very much for your in our everyone, I really appreciate it. Will give it some serious thought and see what I can move around.

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Though you're completely right they are notorious crossbreeders I have no reports of aeneus × panda crossbreeds (I have even some male pandas with aeneus to be honest). And if there are enough of both the risks is quite small. But one big herd of one species is awesome (for us AND for the fish).

About the DG : This temp would be good for a dwarf to be honest. Lower temps prevent the trigger for matingbehaviour, agression, exhaustion aso.

8. Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

Thanks very much all.

So. I could just about manage a 36 inch / 30 long tank, and can keep the temp around 74F. It sounds like this could work?

Sadly, rehoming fish in the UK almost inevitably consigns them to a much worse fate. Plus we are all very attached to the fish. So I want to avoid this if at all possible.

Edit: I'm looking into options for rehoming the panda corydoras now :(

Edited again with a happy ending: I found them a lovely home with a 5 foot established tank and dedicated owner. They are in their new home now. 22 mile round trip through the city centre on a Friday night but worth it for my little pandas :)