What's the minimum of light required for an 8 gallon tank?

Rojizo

Inmates : Guppies
Is 5 watts enough for plants (like guppy grass) to grow?

MoshJosh

I think guppy grass will grow under ambient light. . . If I recall it isn’t really demanding

Tigerburp

For plants watts don’t really matter it is more important that the light you use is full spectrum to best mimick natural sunlight

Tigerburp

I
Will this serve the purpose?
Light in Amazon
It says white light so I wouldn’t say it is suitable
I personally use hygger lights they are great and not too expensive

Rojizo

Please suggest one from the below amazon link
Lights

fishkeepernewbie

Please suggest one from the below amazon link
Lights
not good at recommending, but FYI a full spectrum LED would be much better than blue and white.

ruud

Many plants grow just by ambient/room light, albeit slow. I have a few tanks with shady plants that run on ambient light alone (so without a dedicated aquarium light). Adding a light wouldn't hurt though; it oftentimes makes your tank look prettier and easier to observe :).

So as long as you have plants that require minimal to moderate light, like guppy grass, crypts, ferns or many mosses, and your tank is not located at a dark location, choose whatever light you prefer. If you still want some advice, select a LED unit that includes blue LEDs.

If you have high demanding plants, however, a dedicated light source is required. These units make amongst others notion of PAR. Depending how demanding your plants are as well as the height of the tank, a unit should be selected that offers the right PAR.

Rojizo

I tried to grow frogbit, valisneria before with ambient light but they didn't survive. However Elodea Najas is okay with the conditions -Not much growth but stays alive and grows slow. I don't have Guppygrass but I plan to buy them. From the above reply, I hope they will grow with ambient light. But, I am not sure.

ruud

Well, ambient light differs of course. I have a few tiny tanks on a large windowsill; these tanks too have no dedicated aquarium light; they get a lot of high quality light from outside. But if you have a tank in a basement, which has a bulb light hanging somewhere, it is of course a different story.
The Venus Aqua Blue Pet Adjustable Aquarium Led Lamp Blue and White Light (LED- Size 30 to 50 cm) in your list, looks excellent for "easy" plants like guppygrass.

Rojizo

Alright. I will try with ambient light. If it doesn't work, will buy the one you have suggested. Thank you dears. Cheers!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
  • Question