What’s the mass on my guppy’s tail?

BellaFriedrick

Hi everyone! I’ve had one of my guppies in my 10g guppy tank for a few months now. I’ve noticed he’s always had a small bump on his tail, but as everything else was normal I thought nothing of it. Last week it at least tripled in size, now round and bubbly looking. As he was also missing a huge chunk out of his tail (my guess was the yellow guppy) I moved him to my 5G quarantine after giving it a quick water change. Both the quarantine and main tank were tested and have normal parameters. My guess is lymphocystis, which fits the situation and doesn’t have a cure but supposedly goes away after a few weeks. I can’t tell if the mass is getting bigger. I’ve been trying to treat with seachem paraguard in case it helps, which hasn’t so far. Is there any other disease it could be? He’s still eating and acting normal but seems slightly weighed down by the mass.

Attachments

• A452FB4E-143E-422D-A318-4D59CF3D71AB.jpeg
    A452FB4E-143E-422D-A318-4D59CF3D71AB.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 20
  • E524515C-8B10-451E-BEAB-1AD89B73140A.jpeg
    E524515C-8B10-451E-BEAB-1AD89B73140A.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 0F7D4F5C-8DE7-42DE-945C-0163206E5482.jpeg
    0F7D4F5C-8DE7-42DE-945C-0163206E5482.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 20

PeterFishKeepin

I've never seen something like this perhaps aqua disease fishlore expert A201 could help?

A201

Yeah, it's likely a cancerous or a viral tumor. Unfortunately either way there is no effective treatment for it.

BellaFriedrick

Yeah, it's likely a cancerous or a viral tumor. Unfortunately either way there is no effective treatment for it.
Are those fatal? He seems fine right now but I hope he can recover if it is cancerous or viral.

A201

If the tumor is viral, it will likely just deform the Guppy, but the virus is a mildly contagious bug.. Cancer will consume tissue until eventual death.

BellaFriedrick

If the tumor is viral, it will likely just deform the Guppy, but the virus is a mildly contagious bug.. Cancer will consume tissue until eventual death.
How can I tell which it is? I still think it could be lymphocystis, as it’s bumpy looking and doesn’t seem to be really affecting him. Besides some mild pineconing near the tumor (?), there’s no sign if it getting closer to the body of the guppy.

emeraldking

To me it looks like a tumor. Is it fatal or contageous? If the tumor is developed by too many color cells on one spot, than it's not fatal (at least, very minimal) nor contageous. A significant development of color cells on skin (or fin) tissue, can cause such tumors as well.
But if it's an aggressive tumor, it could be fatal. But both ways, it won't heal nor can it be treated.

BellaFriedrick

To me it looks like a tumor. Is it fatal or contageous? If the tumor is developed by too many color cells on one spot, than it's not fatal (at least, very minimal) nor contageous. A significant development of color cells on skin (or fin) tissue, can cause such tumors as well.
But if it's an aggressive tumor, it could be fatal. But both ways, it won't heal nor can it be treated.
Ok, then. I think I’ll keep him in the quarantine tank a week or two more just in case. Do you think it would be a bad idea to move him back to the guppy tank? The others might pick on him now that he’s “different, like they did before I moved him. Maybe I put him in the community tank…

emeraldking

Ok, then. I think I’ll keep him in the quarantine tank a week or two more just in case. Do you think it would be a bad idea to move him back to the guppy tank? The others might pick on him now that he’s “different, like they did before I moved him. Maybe I put him in the community tank…
Well, if those other guppies will remain picking on him, then don't put them together. But the growth itself won't bother him at all...

BellaFriedrick

Well, if those other guppies will remain picking on him, then don't put them together. But the growth itself won't bother him at all...
Hi! Sorry to bother you again, but now he’s pineconing. It’s making him look about twice his original size. I’ve been trying to treat with kanaplex, but nothings working. It’s not dropsy, he’s still swimming pretty well and has a good appetite. What should I do now?

emeraldking

Hi! Sorry to bother you again, but now he’s pineconing. It’s making him look about twice his original size. I’ve been trying to treat with kanaplex, but nothings working. It’s not dropsy, he’s still swimming pretty well and has a good appetite. What should I do now?
Well, if he's pineconing than it is dropsy. But even when a fish has dropsy, it can still swim and eat. But if he's twice his normal size as you've been mentioning, then you can't cure him anymore.
But the growth on his tail itself has got nothing to do with dropsy.

BellaFriedrick

Well, if he's pineconing than it is dropsy. But even when a fish has dropsy, it can still swim and eat. But if he's twice his normal size as you've been mentioning, then you can't cure him anymore.
But the growth on his tail itself has got nothing to do with dropsy.
Yea, it did show more signs of Dropsy as it progressed. He was barely alive all of yesterday so we euthanized him with clove oil. Still confused on where the dropsy came from??? Parameters were good and he had been acting normal.

A201

Dropsy isn't a disease, it's a symptom of an underlying health problem.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Mlaisure
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
  • Leanne85
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
TheBettaSushi
Replies