Question What's the ideal location for dirty water intake?

JustMe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've always wondered what's the prime location to place the intake tube for canister filters. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the tube where the dirty water from the tank flows into in order to get to the canister- the tube with the strainer. Would it be best to place it near the gravel (bottom-tank), mid-tank, or top-tank? Does it matter which side it's secured to? Side with more "stuff", side with less "stuff?" Left side? Right side? Or is it best to be secured in the middle? Or does it not matter?

Any thoughts?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine is near the gravel. I think ideally you want to have the intake at one end of the tank and the outtake at the other, but wiith my setup, I was not able to do that. Mine are next to each other and still do a heck of a good job.

welcome to fl, enjoy the forum

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I keep mine like 4 inches off the substrate.

As for where it is inside the tank, I usually put it in the corner.

JustMe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to position my intake and output on opposite sides near the bottom strata of the tank.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have both in the same corner...not that I'm saying that's ideal. I had them at opposite sides for a while - just switched it up.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With canister intakes, try to position the intake strainer as close to the substrate/gravel as possible.
1) Because most 'nasties' (detritus) fall to the bottom
2) it creates a psuedo 'under-current' that will drag other water to the intake
3) the closer to the top of the water level, the more chance of evaporation leading to the filter sucking in 'air' which will damage the filter.

Where you position the outlet (return) is up to you, and can be dictated by what your hood/setup/cutouts allow. But generally, the return is positioned near the top of the water. This then creates surface agitation, which aides gas exchange (oxygen into water).

Think of your water flow like a circular process. Water enters the tank (the return line) at the top, gets 'blown' around the tank, bouncing off the tank walls and travels to the bottom, where it is sucked up by the intake, filtered, returned and the process starts again.

The only consideration is to ensure that the return water is being transported around the tank, rather than straight back into the intake (which is why some people don't like HOB filters).

JustMe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nice tip ryanr, thanks. I always thought it'd be ideal to generate as much circulation as possible.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom