Whats the difference?

1. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

So I went to the lfs I found rams but they where to expensive and I was just looking I found ottos and tetras which I'm going back for when I'm done cycling. I had a question instead of a pair of gbr which were 17.99 for 1 fish!!! Is there any difference between a crib? They where 6.99 and then there was a Bolivian ram for 10$ Can I do a pair of kribs in my 20 gallon or a pair of Bolivian rams?

2. Awesome Initiate Member

while they are both similar in very many ways, they very much have substantial differences regarding a broad range of subjects,

A few to list are

- water temperature preference
    -ability to withstand different conditions
    -compatibility issues
    -colors
    -avalibility
    -breeding
    -bioload

They still are very similar regarding when choosing between the two though. You could easily have a pair or Kribs opposed to a pair of German Blue Rams. My only recommendation when purchasing them is to remember that purchasing a designated breeding pair could end up in the death of other tankmates due to territorial issues when breeding situation occurs, while when purchasing a male and a female will most likely result in them fighting to to territorial issues in a tank with such a small foot print. So ideally you would want to aim towards just one krib as getting two can result in disasters eaither way

3. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I'm not having much with them for that reason. Anyone else have anything else to help me out

4. Awesome Initiate Member

In regards to alternatives to these fish? If so then I would recommend
    1 male Betta
    1 dwarf gourami
    3 Dario Dario. 1 male and 2 females
    3 sparkling gourami. 1 male 2 females

5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

If I can't find any gbr for cheaper ill prob go with 3 gouramis

6. Awesome Initiate Member

Okay

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

3 gouramis?

8. fighter55 Member Member

I agree with Jaysee. Bolivians are like GBR's just less colorful, hardier(IMO), and a little more aggressive. I would go with this stock:
    2 Bolivian Rams
    2 DG(if your interested)
    7 Phantom Tetras

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

2 DGs? 2 honeys, yes. 2 DGs, no.

10. Shine Well Known Member Member

2 DGs in a 20gallon tank is asking for one to be tormented to death. Sparkling gouramis are fine in groups. Not DGs

11. fighter55 Member Member

Honeys get a little bigger. I was going for size rather than temperament. In retrospect, honeys would be better.

12. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I found some Gbrs and pet smart they didn't have any left but they said they'll have more on wednesday so I'll get a pair and they also had ottos :D

13. fighter55 Member Member

How much were they priced for?

14. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

5.69 I was so happy!!!

15. fighter55 Member Member

Wow! Thats cheap for GBR's. My LFS has them for 15.00$ Each, and sold me my EB for 25.00$ and My gold for 20.00$!

16. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

So it's not just the one by my house that has them now! Mine have a lot of personality. You'll like them!

17. fighter55 Member Member

I've had my EB Ram and Gold Ram for about a week now, and I love them! The Blue one follows my gold ram around like a puppy dog. They're adorable!

18. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Then what? Sparklers, barley. DG absolutely not.

19. fighter55 Member Member

I've seen Honeys getup to 4 inches. Biggest DG I've seen is almost 3.

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A 4 inch honey gourami?? Must have been juiced up ;)

I think you've seen another species of gourami, especially if you've seen more than one.