Whats the difference?

1. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

So I went to the lfs I found rams but they where to expensive and I was just looking I found ottos and tetras which I'm going back for when I'm done cycling. I had a question instead of a pair of gbr which were 17.99 for 1 fish!!! Is there any difference between a crib? They where 6.99 and then there was a Bolivian ram for 10$ Can I do a pair of kribs in my 20 gallon or a pair of Bolivian rams?

2. A

Awesome Initiate Member

while they are both similar in very many ways, they very much have substantial differences regarding a broad range of subjects,

A few to list are

- water temperature preference
    -ability to withstand different conditions
    -compatibility issues
    -colors
    -avalibility
    -breeding
    -bioload

They still are very similar regarding when choosing between the two though. You could easily have a pair or Kribs opposed to a pair of German Blue Rams. My only recommendation when purchasing them is to remember that purchasing a designated breeding pair could end up in the death of other tankmates due to territorial issues when breeding situation occurs, while when purchasing a male and a female will most likely result in them fighting to to territorial issues in a tank with such a small foot print. So ideally you would want to aim towards just one krib as getting two can result in disasters eaither way

3. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I'm not having much with them for that reason. Anyone else have anything else to help me out

4. A

Awesome Initiate Member

In regards to alternatives to these fish? If so then I would recommend
    1 male Betta
    1 dwarf gourami
    3 Dario Dario. 1 male and 2 females
    3 sparkling gourami. 1 male 2 females

5. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

If I can't find any gbr for cheaper ill prob go with 3 gouramis

6. A

Awesome Initiate Member

Okay

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

3 gouramis?

8. f

fighter55 Member Member

I agree with Jaysee. Bolivians are like GBR's just less colorful, hardier(IMO), and a little more aggressive. I would go with this stock:
    2 Bolivian Rams
    2 DG(if your interested)
    7 Phantom Tetras

9. Jaysee

2 DGs? 2 honeys, yes. 2 DGs, no.

10. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

2 DGs in a 20gallon tank is asking for one to be tormented to death. Sparkling gouramis are fine in groups. Not DGs

11. f

fighter55 Member Member

Honeys get a little bigger. I was going for size rather than temperament. In retrospect, honeys would be better.

12. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I found some Gbrs and pet smart they didn't have any left but they said they'll have more on wednesday so I'll get a pair and they also had ottos :D

13. f

fighter55 Member Member

How much were they priced for?

14. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

5.69 I was so happy!!!

15. f

fighter55 Member Member

Wow! Thats cheap for GBR's. My LFS has them for 15.00$ Each, and sold me my EB for 25.00$ and My gold for 20.00$!

16. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

So it's not just the one by my house that has them now! Mine have a lot of personality. You'll like them!

17. f

fighter55 Member Member

I've had my EB Ram and Gold Ram for about a week now, and I love them! The Blue one follows my gold ram around like a puppy dog. They're adorable!

18. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Then what? Sparklers, barley. DG absolutely not.

19. f

fighter55 Member Member

I've seen Honeys getup to 4 inches. Biggest DG I've seen is almost 3.

20. Jaysee

A 4 inch honey gourami?? Must have been juiced up ;)

I think you've seen another species of gourami, especially if you've seen more than one.