What's the difference between an Amano shrimp Vs a flower shrimp?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by cheesepuff, Jul 31, 2015.

1. cheesepuff

cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

What are the physical differences between an amano shrimp vs a flower shrimp? They both look kind of similar to me. I would love to have them in my tank, but I'd rather have one or the other at the moment.

2. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Could you be more specific with the the flower shrimp? Is it a bamboo shrimp? Because they are also called flower shrimp.
    scientific name would clear it up.

3. DanB80TTS

Assuming the flower shrimp and bamboo shrimp are the same thing which I think they are, check out these profiles.

Bamboo shrimp

Amano shrimp

I believe bamboo shrimp are filter feeders and unlike Amano shrimp they feed by catching food in the water column using their fans. I'm not sure how you would feed them in an aquarium.

Amano shrimp just scavenge for food and are praised for their apatite for algae.

4. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

From what I'm reading it sounds like the bamboo shrimp would be easier to take care of. How do they compare in size when they are adults? I did not see this information in the links provided.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

If i get a bamboo shrimp I might get a water curcurlater since they like current and filter feed

6. DanB80TTS

I think both shrimp grow to around 2-3 inches, I'd say the amano would be easier to take care of personally. I have no experience with filter feeding shrimp though.

7. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

Yeah, all I remember about filter feeding was from a sponge Bob episode many years ago.

8. K

Kyle 2048 Valued Member Member

I personally love the fan shrimp. They are fun to watch because they stick their fans in the water than suck them back in when they get food. They are fairly easy i recommend them.

Kyle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice