What’s the difference between a red tail shark and a rainbow shark?

erinw347

Well Known
Title says it all, can someone help me decide one to choose?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Red tail shark- bit more aggressive from what I hear, doesn't eat as much algae as rainbow I also hear, and whole body/fins is black except the tail fin.

Rainbow shark all fins are red, and eats a bit more algal matter.

Different species :)

Wrench

Well Known
FinalFins said:
Red tail shark- bit more aggressive from what I hear, doesn't eat as much algae as rainbow I also hear, and whole body/fins is black except the tail fin.

Rainbow shark all fins are red, and eats a bit more algal matter.

Different species :)
Yeah....and red tail sharks get way bigger than rainbow sharks...red tails like 15in
Rainbows I think 6 or 8

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
ah okay, definitely already leaning toward the rainbow. Do you guys think I could keep a rainbow shark with a bn pleco?

Wrench

Well Known
erinw347 said:
ah okay, definitely already leaning toward the rainbow. Do you guys think I could keep a rainbow shark with a bn pleco?
I do, the common rainbow and my bn pleco have lived together for almost a year with no issues...the common remains in my 28 gal because he tried to take over the whole 55 gal tank....hes a bully, And I do have the 2 baby albinos in the 55, they are buddies...for now

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
erinw347 said:
Its been done but at the same time they have the reputation for bullying other bottom dwellers and going for similar sized shape fish..

Dunk2

Well Known
erinw347 said:
What size tank?

How Rainbow Sharks get along with other fish often depends on the fish and luck of the draw.

I said this in another thread. . . I got lucky. My Rainbow is one of the most peaceful fish I’ve had. He does have his moments at feeding time.

386F9F17-D0DA-4B76-B0C0-17035206730B.jpeg

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Dunk2 said:
What size tank?

How Rainbow Sharks get along with other fish often depends on the fish and luck of the draw.

I said this in another thread. . . I got lucky. My Rainbow is one of the most peaceful fish I’ve had. He does have his moments at feeding time.

55g, I was thinking that my BN is aggressive enough to put the rainbow in its place, and there will be lots of hiding places.

Dunk2

Well Known
erinw347 said:
55g, I was thinking that my BN is aggressive enough to put the rainbow in its place, and there will be lots of hiding places.
With a 55, you should definitely choose the Rainbow over the Red Tail.

Do you know if your LFS accepts returns? If not, ask them in case you get the Rainbow and it doesn’t work with the BN.

Wrench

Well Known
Dunk2 said:
What size tank?

Yes I remember this guy, hes pretty...my rainbow is a jerk.. I hope me keeping the albinos together as babies will bond them and not get fiesty...I want to try a full rainbow shark tank..spread the aggression.....

Dunk2

Well Known
Wrench said:
Yes I remember this guy, hes pretty...my rainbow is a jerk.. I hope me keeping the albinos together as babies will bond them and not get fiesty...I want to try a full rainbow shark tank..spread the aggression.....
Your tank, but I wouldn’t recommend a “full rainbow shark tank”.

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Dunk2 said:
With a 55, you should definitely choose the Rainbow over the Red Tail.

Do you know if your LFS accepts returns? If not, ask them in case you get the Rainbow and it doesn’t work with the BN.
Yes, they do accept returns. I am optimistic about this though, thanks for your help!

Wrench

Well Known
Dunk2 said:
Your tank, but I wouldn’t recommend a “full rainbow shark tank”.
Yes in my 55 gal.
I'm going to get a 150 for my bala shark and get 3 more balas and put my pleco and pictus with them...I want to get maybe 4 more rainbow sharks, re scape the 55 gal with tiered caves on the edges and caves under gravel and just make a bunch of hiding spots....I'm going to use bright colored gravel with some sand bunch of live plants and see what i can do.

Dunk2

Well Known
Wrench said:
Yes in my 55 gal.
I'm going to get a 150 for my bala shark and get 3 more balas and put my pleco and pictus with them...I want to get maybe 4 more rainbow sharks, re scape the 55 gal with tiered caves on the edges and caves under gravel and just make a bunch of hiding spots....I'm going to use bright colored gravel with some sand bunch of live plants and see what i can do.
I get the sense you’re going to do this no matter what, but a 55 gallon tank is much too small for more than 1 Rainbow Shark in my (and others) opinion.

Have you done any research about Rainbows?

Wrench

Well Known
Dunk2 said:
I get the sense you’re going to do this no matter what, but a 55 gallon tank is much too small for more than 1 Rainbow Shark in my (and others) opinion.

Have you done any research about Rainbows?
Yes I have read about them.
I was at a l.f.s and they had moderate size rainbows together and some smaller ones as well in one tank...I asked how they were doing this..she said in numbers their aggression thins out...

Dunk2

Well Known
Wrench said:
Yes I have read about them.
I was at a l.f.s and they had moderate size rainbows together and some smaller ones as well in one tank...I asked how they were doing this..she said in numbers their aggression thins out...
Rainbow aggression gets worse as the fish mature. Most every LFS has a bunch of Rainbows in the same tank. They’re almost always very young fish.

qldmick

Well Known
Wrench said:
Yeah....and red tail sharks get way bigger than rainbow sharks...red tails like 15in
Rainbows I think 6 or 8
sorry mate but both species max out at just over 6inches.
red tails are definitely more aggressive, mbuna or cichlids larger than themselves are great company.

Wrench

Well Known
Dunk2 said:
Rainbow aggression gets worse as the fish mature. Most every LFS has a bunch of Rainbows in the same tank. They’re almost always very young fish.

qldmick said:
sorry mate but both species max out at just over 6inches.
red tails are definitely more aggressive, mbuna or cichlids larger than themselves are great company.
I am so dumb....the picture I saw of a red tail next to a ruler was in metric....6in. 15cm.....I'm blonde wow, ha

qldmick

Well Known
Wrench said:
I am so dumb....the picture I saw of a red tail next to a ruler was in metric....6in. 15cm.....I'm blonde wow, ha
ha, yer that might of been my pic. I thought you were thinking of balas that get bigger.

Wrench

Well Known
qldmick said:
ha, yer that might of been my pic. I thought you were thinking of balas that get bigger.
Yes I believe it was you come to think of it!!
I found a 90 long online used, with stand he wants 270 bucks and conveniently lives near me, he hasnt responded to my email though...I hope I get it...put my bala in there with 3 more of them and do a minimal bare scape,with a good strong current in it.

Dunk2

Well Known
As I said in my previous post, your mind is made up, no matter the advice or opinions that are shared with you.

I’ve got to be honest. . . It’s ironic to me that my first interaction with you on this forum was a result of you having issues with incompatible fish being kept together. That was a week or so ago.

And now you’re planning to put 5 Rainbow Sharks in a 55 gallon tank. Sorry, but I just think folks should be responsible with whatever pets they choose to keep. We’ve all made our fair share of mistakes in this hobby. . . The key is to learn from them. Actually makes the hobby more enjoyable.

Enough said. Best of luck to you.

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
I mentioned this in a seperate thread, but here is what I am thinking for my 55g stocking:
I already own my BN, he's currently in a 29g. So although I really want the shark, he comes first :) I was thinking the angelfish and skirt tetras because I want fish that wont bother the shark, but can defend themselves. What do you guys think?

Dunk2

Well Known
erinw347 said:
I mentioned this in a seperate thread, but here is what I am thinking for my 55g stocking:
  • 1 RAINBOW shark
  • 1 BN pleco
  • A pair of angelfish
  • A school of skirt tetras
I already own my BN, he's currently in a 29g. So although I really want the shark, he comes first :) I was thinking the angelfish and skirt tetras because I want fish that wont bother the shark, but can defend themselves. What do you guys think?
My Rainbow Shark and Angelfish get along just fine. The tetras should also work but I’ve never kept them before.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
erinw347 said:
  • 1 RAINBOW shark
  • 1 BN pleco
  • A pair of angelfish
I always suggest a group of angels over 2-3. Maybe 5?

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
FinalFins said:
I always suggest a group of angels over 2-3. Maybe 5?
Oh okay. Does it matter if i get a certain number of males or females?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
erinw347 said:
Oh okay. Does it matter if i get a certain number of males or females?
You won't know when you buy them most of the time. So yea wont matter

There will be slight aggression down the road but thats expected with angels

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
erinw347 said:
  • 1 RAINBOW shark
  • 1 BN pleco
  • A pair of angelfish
Angels prefer warmer water to skirt tetras and bristlenoses

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom