What's The Difference Between A Common Bn & A Bn

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by april_fish, Jul 10, 2017.

1. april_fish

april_fishValued MemberMember

What's the difference between a common bristlenose pleco and a bristlenose pleco? Is there a difference?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777Well Known MemberMember

Just color.

3. goplecos

goplecosWell Known MemberMember

They are very closely related. Common BNs are the originals, the other were just bred for thing like color, and as a result gradually shrunk.

4. OP
    OP
    april_fish

april_fishValued MemberMember

Ah, I see. Thanks for the reply!

5. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Well a common bristlenose is a bristlenose of the common type. A bristlenose pleco is a bristlenose pleco of any type.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Mwaaaaa. There are several species of bristlenoses in the wild (google Ancistrus) .
    A.temminckii, dolichopterus, cirrhosus, L144, L181, L182 etc etc. Several of those crossbreed. That crossbreeding resulted in a BN called Ancistrus cf (meaning looking like) cirrhosus (one of the species).
    So this species in fact doesn't live in the wild and is reffered to as common (ordinary). Besides of that there are albinos, calicos from this same "species"

7. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

So different BNs can breed together? My BN looks like a Cirrhosus but has the white stripe on his fins like a Dolichopterus, is this normal crossbreeding or just how she is?

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Yes most BN's crossbreed. It all depends of the originals they came from and how far the offfspring is from those parrents.
    In this vid you'll see one of my "common" ones. in the pic is a complete different type but probably a common too Lat pic is a sister of the one in the vid + a lemon (xanthistic colorvariaty sold as L144 but isn't).

df18542e5e2f934bd78d2268159f78f1.jpg097d39936ac92d4c1b1259a1b83e2d75.jpg50b5a75e3fe9c6e1e22c7bf23ba418cd.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice