What's The Difference Between A Common Bn & A Bn

1. april_fish Member Member

What's the difference between a common bristlenose pleco and a bristlenose pleco? Is there a difference?

2. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Just color.

3. goplecos Well Known Member Member

They are very closely related. Common BNs are the originals, the other were just bred for thing like color, and as a result gradually shrunk.

4. april_fish Member Member

Ah, I see. Thanks for the reply!

5. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Well a common bristlenose is a bristlenose of the common type. A bristlenose pleco is a bristlenose pleco of any type.

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Mwaaaaa. There are several species of bristlenoses in the wild (google Ancistrus) .
    A.temminckii, dolichopterus, cirrhosus, L144, L181, L182 etc etc. Several of those crossbreed. That crossbreeding resulted in a BN called Ancistrus cf (meaning looking like) cirrhosus (one of the species).
    So this species in fact doesn't live in the wild and is reffered to as common (ordinary). Besides of that there are albinos, calicos from this same "species"

7. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

So different BNs can breed together? My BN looks like a Cirrhosus but has the white stripe on his fins like a Dolichopterus, is this normal crossbreeding or just how she is?

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Yes most BN's crossbreed. It all depends of the originals they came from and how far the offfspring is from those parrents.
    In this vid you'll see one of my "common" ones. in the pic is a complete different type but probably a common too Lat pic is a sister of the one in the vid + a lemon (xanthistic colorvariaty sold as L144 but isn't).

df18542e5e2f934bd78d2268159f78f1.jpg 097d39936ac92d4c1b1259a1b83e2d75.jpg 50b5a75e3fe9c6e1e22c7bf23ba418cd.jpg