What's The Deficiency?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Thomas Hobbs, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Thomas Hobbs

Thomas HobbsNew MemberMember

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg hi all,
    I think I'm right in saying that this is some sort of fern but recently it has started to develop holes in its leaves. Just wondering if anyone could help me combat this unslightly issue.
    Cheers
    Tom

2. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

It looks like an Amazon sword, and that's the old leaves dying. You can cut them off down by the base. Just guessing here (I'm new to plants myself) but are you putting root tabs in the substrate? Swords are a root feeder plant.

3. OP
    OP
    Thomas Hobbs

I have jbl aquabasis under the gravel which I hoped would provide some fertilisation but I do also use nutricap root tabs.
    I'm not so worried now if it just the old leaves dying. Do they just die after a while to create new growth or are they dying for a reason?
    Tom

4. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Not sure if it's normal.. I'm just learning my Amazons also.. I know old shorter leaves are supposed to die off as it transitions to full submersed state, but those look like normal leaves.. so not sure. Newer leaves grow up from the middle so the outer ones are the oldest ones.

5. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Mine will sometimes do that but it's usually due to a macro deficiency. What are your nitrate levels? I think mine were doing that when I had a light stocking and was still changing water pretty often. (I dont bother doing less than 50 percent changes, and I usually change weekly.)

6. OP
    OP
    Thomas Hobbs

It could be a deficiency in nitrates actually thinking about it. I have recently moved to a bigger tank with the same stocking so the nitrates won't have had a chance to catch up yet . Maybe I'll skip a weeks water change to get back up to around 20-30ppm.