What's The Deal With My Nerite Snail?

1. marinat

marinat New Member Member

My nerite snail may or may not be dead? I got him with my betta a couple weeks ago. They're in a 3.5 gallon tank, water 80F, ammonia & nitrites 0, nitrates 30 (just did a water change to bring those back down).

He never has moved around much. He seems to be only active at night, and I'd find him on a different bit of glass or gravel in the morning, where he'd stay all day.

I've tried spinach and algae wafers and he doesn't seem interested in either. I'm afraid he's not particularly bright, and/or I got an already sick snail from the pet store.

I went away for about a week (my husband fed the betta and kept an eye on the tank) and he hasn't moved. I picked him up during the water change and peeked inside his shell. He doesn't have the allegedly terrible dead snail smell. Looks the same as ever. I put him back in the tank for now. How else do you tell if a snail is dead or not? Is there any other food or anything else I should try?

2. kam.exe

kam.exe Valued Member Member

Well, if your snail doesn't have a nasty smell coming from it, it isn't dead.

Sometimes nerites do sit around for a couple days, though mine personally zip around like madmen. It's possible that there isn't enough food in the tank - how long has it been established?

You also shouldn't need algae wafers - those just clog up the tank and are too big for one snail. Try blanched carrots and zucchini!

The batches of snails at pet stores can be bad - the first nerite I ever got died after two days with no apparent cause - so it's really a matter of being lucky/picking an active snail.

Good luck!

3. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

No smell, no ammonia build up- live snail.

I've got a Nerite, too. She doesn't move unless she's hungry or laying eggs. I've never had her motionless for a week, but several days isn't unusual, and if she's disturbed she 'plays dead' for awhile.

4. E

EchoZ New Member Member

They are nocturnal so they prefer to come out at night when they feel safe. If he is moving around then he is just fine.