Whats the biggest fish i can get for a 90g

1. k9z3boys Member Member

not brackish
    not cichlids
    not goldfish

I would love a pleco but they get too big even for the 90! ( we have the smaller ones.... )

we are stumped!

thanks

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

There are a lot of plecos you can get in a tank that size. What about bristlenose plecos? Or rubberlip. I also think that gold nuggets stay small too and green phantom should be ok in there as well. What are your dimensions?
    And as fish go are you looking for peaceful or aggressive or in the middle?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. k9z3boys Member Member

we have 2 bristles in the 60 and a rubberlip in his own tank ( with 6 danios)

the dimensions will be 48x24x18
    dh would love a golden nugget- he will be happy to know it will fit

probably peaceful but semi aggressive could be fun

4. Fishboy123 Member Member

A puffer

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. eds48 Member Member

You never said "not saltwater" so try saltwater! :)

6. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Angelfish?

7. k9z3boys Member Member

I am too inexperienced for saltwater, not to mention the extra equipment we would need. I would love saltwater-- that's a long LONG way off
    it does open up some fun options, tho

( my 9yo wants a stingray..... not spending $500 on a fish!)

8. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

If you're willing to do the research and the work, discus.

Oops, strike that. You said no cichlids.

9. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Is this a planted or going to be a planted tank? If you want something interesting look at rocket gars, and these guys will eat anything that will fit in their mouth but aren't aggressive in a sence where they will kill off everything. They are actually kind of shy. You could put some Congo tetras with them or even a group of rainbows.
    Help me out guys, what's the name of the big rainbows lol I drew a blank.
    Yea a stingray is expensive and also needs a HUGE tank with a lot of surface area. And you could also put in a butterfly fish for the surface. Just no more surface dwelling fish because he might turn aggressive.

10. k9z3boys Member Member

they have fresh water angelfish at petsmart. do they get that big?? I know the saltwater ones get reasonable size.
    they are also classified as semi aggressive so what would go with them?
    I do like the idea of angels --

11. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Angels are beautiful. I have one adult male and he is probably my favorite fish. They have amazing personalities. They can be aggressive toward eachother. But with a 90 gallon you could easily have 5 and the aggression will be spread out. And you could also have schooling fish in with these guys and have a community tank.

12. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

no one has said anything about a fancy bichir yet! Gold dust bichirs get over a foot.

Sort of an in between tank for puffers, sadly.

No cichlids really shoots down a LOT of options...angelfish are cichlids btw, and can get huge (body size of your fist, plus fins)

13. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yea bichirs!! :D I love bichirs. I have 2 babies right now and they are adorable with cute personalities, very curious.
    And yes angels are cichlids and get huge. But they are amazing!! And a 90 is more than enough room for them.

14. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

48x18x24 right? I love the more exotic Plecos like water melon pattern ones!

15. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

They get to about 6" but in the 90 you could have a few (5/6). They work well with Rams (German blue rams, Bolivian Rams and the colour morphs of GBR's like golden, electric blue), you could have some big schools of large tetras such as congos, cardinals, phantoms, widows, rosy (avoid serpae if you go this route, they're rather nippy), a school of bristlenose plecos would look good or a large school of corydoras, you could have some hatchet fish for the top too.

I have 3 Angels with a Bolivian Ram in a 75G (not finished stocking it yet) and I like that they are always visible, don't hide out much and they are very graceful swimmers and you can get some wonderful colours!

In my 75 I was recomended 4 Angels, 2 Rams, 2 schools of 8-10 large tetras and 8-10 corydoras to give you an idea. Of course your tank is bigger so you could bump up the numbers or add another school I think.xx

16. HappyKnitter Member Member

How about kissing gouramis. I have seen pretty large ones about 8 inches long.

17. Fishboy123 Member Member

Now that I think about it an eel is possible.

18. ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Angelfish ARE cichlids. Silver dollars perhaps...