What's The Best Treatment/medication For Popeye

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My black moor, the mom of all my babies has popeye in one eye. I'm pretty sure the males have caused her to scrape it on the gravel as they are pursuing her in romance. I have been using Kanamycin (2 doses now) for 4 days. At first it looked better but today looks worse. Suggestions?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for delay. When at work, work must come first. Anyway,afraid to admit it, but I got my black moor from Petsmart by Baybrook Mall and my favorite orange/white veil tale came from Petco in Pearland. May other veil tale came from The Pet Place on Beamer Road across from San Jacinto College South. They are starting to stock more goldies and I have always gotten good stock from them. It's interesting just to walk through and look at all of their tanks. They have all kinds of fish. I ordered my calico on line from Aquarium Fish Sales.

ljm0104

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honestly water changes and time have been the best for popeye in my experience. You could try dosing with aquarium salt if you don't see any improvement in a week. Personally I have had a lot more luck with aquarium salt then many meds.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are definitely bloodworms. I put on pic on here in another post and have also read all about them. The goldfish eat them. The tropicals don't seem to be interested...that is the tank with the worst infestation. The midge flies are all over the plants around my pond.

ljm0104

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh wow. I will admit that is one thing that has kept me from expanding my fish outside of a my house and a small greenhouse. I hear the mosquitoes are even worse in Houston than here in Memphis.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's not from mosquitoes though. Bloodworms come from midge flies. I just put Mosquito Dunks in the pond and tanks. It is safe for fish and is made of a bacteria that is only toxic to mosquitoes and midge flies. Just a bit of information if you ever need it, which I hope you do not.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom