What’s the best shrimp to get

Stefonn.Papi
We have a 75 gallon fish tank and we are looking to get a hardy shrimp or shrimps for our fish tank, to note we have high nitrates but i’ve tried everything, cleaned canister filter, done many large water changes and even bought a protein skimmer that goes up to 150 gallon and works great but i the nitrate went down by alittle but gave up. But what shrimps are the best for my fish tank that are hardy

Mandy627
Stefonn.Papi said:
We have a 75 gallon fish tank and we are looking to get a hardy shrimp or shrimps for our fish tank, to note we have high nitrates but i’ve tried everything, cleaned canister filter, done many large water changes and even bought a protein skimmer that goes up to 150 gallon and works great but i the nitrate went down by alittle but gave up. But what shrimps are the best for my fish tank that are hardy
The ph, Gk and KH are more important than the nitrates. Depending on your stalk and what parameters you have, amano shrimp usually are pretty hardy.

AggressiveAquatics
Bamboo shrimp are hardy in terms of shrimp. I have two in a 45 gallon and forgot to drip acclimate them and they were fine and I do 60% water changes weekly and they don’t seem affected

Mandy627
AggressiveAquatics said:
Bamboo shrimp are hardy in terms of shrimp. I have two in a 45 gallon and forgot to drip acclimate them and they were fine and I do 60% water changes weekly and they don’t seem affected
I just realized it's a saltwater tank post? I take back what I said!!!

barbiespoodle
First thing you need to test before you decide on which shrimp is you ph and gh levels.

High ph and gh, go with cherry shrimp, neo caradina.

My well water has very high ph and gh and not only have I been quite successful at keeping the neo caradina's, they also have been breeding very well for me, didn't take long for a few to become a very large population.

In the same water I have had a lot of luck keeping amano's, but no luck in the breeding department. Amano's larvae need to be moved to salt water, thus very difficult for the average hobbyist to raise. Even so, the amano's are larger shrimp and total charmers, they can actually become very personable, will swim into your hand, especially when it comes to feeding time, and while you might not be able to breed them, they seem to live a long time.

Lower ph and gh, go with the cardina's, I think they are more often called crystal bee's, but don't quote me on that. They are beautiful, personally I think more beautiful than the cherry shrimp and I would love to keep them, but at my age, I don't want to put the work into fixing my water for them.

A more neutral ph and gh you can go either direction although you might have to add a little calcium to help the neo's in moulting. From what I have researched, that could be as easy as adding crushed egg shell or a piece of cuttlebone sold for pet birds, but don't quote me on that.

I can only speak for the cherry shrimp, but my first, reds, so captivated me that I set up a tank of blues and then a tank of culls from the reds and blues. And there are more colors to chose from. Once you decide the decor of your tank, you can pick a color that shows up according to that color. Like with my reds I used a black plant substrate since it's a planted tank, the black really shows off the reds. But with the blues, again a planted tank, I used a dirt substrate with white gravel on top so the blues stand out. Once you decide on tank decor, then you have various shades of red, blue, yellow, orange, green, and blacks to chose from. And my culls have turned into some interesting variations of reds and blues, even red and blue on the same shrimp, as well as some plain browns which have their own charm.

Wish I could give info on bamboo shrimp. I have been wanted them for so long but have no luck finding them. The one time I did find one, I passed on it until I researched it, didn't know if it would hurt my cherries, and it was gone before I got back for it. Still kicking myself over that one.

fish 321
Just an fyi everyone he is looking for saltwater shrimp. Pepermint shrimp are a cool addition and will take care of aptaisia if you have them.

AggressiveAquatics
Sorry I should have read it

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom