Whats the best setup for glofish?

1. slashgash Member Member

Ive been thinking about getting some glofish, but im not sure what size tank, how many i should get, and all that jazz. I know im probably gonna have to get a third tank to house them.

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

Well the minimum tank size for a single fancy goldfish is 20g. Assuming you want more than one you add 10g for every additional fancy goldfish. I would get a 55g personally because then you can have a couple of goldfish with a few tankmates. I always keep a shoal White Cloud Mountain Minnows (WCMM) with my goldfish. They have similar temperature requirements and do really well together.

What sort of aquascape were you thinking of having? I like to have dark sand substrates with a couple of rock piles and silk plants in my goldfish tanks. You can make tunnels or caves out of rocks which goldfish love. You just have to make sure they are big enough to accommodate the goldfish when it grows. With substrate you want to get something soft without any sharp edges because goldfish like to dig around in the substrate for left over food. I usually kept my tanks either barebottom or with soft sand. Goldfish also love bubbles. So a bubble want and/or a couple airstones are a must in their tank. I always saw mine playing in their bubble walls.

I won't suggest stock numbers before we figure out what size tank your wanting to get. Bigger is better, always :).

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

GLOfish, Rogue, not GOLDfish :giggle:

A 20 long is a nice sized tank, thats not too hard to manage, but gives the fish room to move about :) A nice school of 10 or so, over black gravel, with a black background, and dark plants with a black light would be awesome! =D

4. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Here's a pic of mine in my 40 gallon cube.

They like room to swim as they are hyper!

[​IMG]

5. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

20 gallon long or higher for GLOfish. They are danios and they like to swim freely.

6. slashgash Member Member

Okay, thank you guys for all the help :) Maybe when I get my student loan money I'll go out and get a large tank and some glofish.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Wait till PetCo has their $1 per gallon sale, and save yourself $20 ;)

8. slashgash Member Member

When is that? Ive never heard of that. lol. Also, I looked at petco's tanks when I was in there a few days ago and theyre really expensive. A 2.5 gallon was the price of a 10 gallon at walmart or petsmart.

Maybe ill just splurge and buy a 55 gal. Id never be able to get into my closet, but its worth it for the fishies. lol. Also, would it be a bad idea to put bala sharks in with glofish if i got a 55 gal or larger? I wouldnt put bala sharks in anything smaller than a 55 gal.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Its happens a few times a year. Just gotta watch their website :)

PetCo's price on tanks freaking ridiculous.

I can't say on the Bala's, sorry.

10. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

My balas are super calm and nice but eventually they would probably eat the glofish. Plus I wouldn't put balas in a 55 regaurdless. I have them in a 125 and that won't even be big enough.

11. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

:oops:

:no2: No one ever accused me of being observant!:anim_35:

Hmph, besides I have a good excuse. Dyslexia :party0049:

BTW Black lights aren't very good for GLOfish.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

There are fish friendly ones (to my knowledge <.<). Just depends on the *type* of black light. Couldn't tell you what that type was, though LOL

13. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Isn't that for school?:nono:

14. slashgash Member Member

I would move the balas into a bigger tank as they got bigger, but when they're small would a 55 gallon be okay?

And, yes psalm, lol. But ive already bought all my books and stuff i need for next semester, so I have some left over money to play with.

15. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

:;lg My thoughts exactly. Student loans are pretty difficult to pay off you know.

EDIT: Nope Balas shouldn't be in a 55g at all IMO. It is easy for them to stunt and then you can run into all sorts of health problems. They grow extremely fast too so even for a little while it wouldn't be a good idea.

16. slashgash Member Member

Okay, ill wait until I have room for a bigger tank to get Balas.

I just contacted someone on craigslist thats going to sell me a 20 gallon tank. But it already has 4 sunset platys, 3 black tetras, 1 ghost catfish and 1 algae eater. So, I guess no glofish until it clears out a bit. I dont know what kind of algae eater it has though, and I know ghost catfish are a schooling fish. So, I dont know what to do about that little guy.