Question What's the Best Low-Flow Air Pump Filter?

BettaFett

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a different sponge filter to use for my 10-gallon tank that holds my betta fish. I really like my current filter because it creates minimal water flow so that my betta can swim around everywhere and not be bothered by a water current. However, with a good 2 inches of sand taking up the bottom of the tank where I put the filter, the filter feels a bit tall for the tank. I was looking at something , but I would like some other input for this.

I attached photos for reference if you'd like to see it.

Current air pump:
Current filter:

Attachments

OP
BettaFett

BettaFett

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I also just on another thread regarding heaters, but I've never heard of these until now so I don't know.

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, the one on chewy would probably be fine. Another good option would be one of the sponge filters from the aquarium co-op, they make their own and I love using them, they come in a few sizes- plus it kinda would be supporting a small business. I have no clue about the bioplus thermo, it looks really interesting though.

OP
BettaFett

BettaFett

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Willj626 said:
Hi, the one on chewy would probably be fine. Another good option would be one of the sponge filters from the aquarium co-op, they make their own and I love using them, they come in a few sizes- plus it kinda would be supporting a small business. I have no clue about the bioplus thermo, it looks really interesting though.
Oooh I do love supporting small businesses. It does seem very interesting haha, I would love to invest in that if it turns out to be really good. I worry about my heaters because I always forget to move them up and down when I do my water changes.

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BettaFett said:
Oooh I do love supporting small businesses. It does seem very interesting haha, I would love to invest in that if it turns out to be really good. I worry about my heaters because I always forget to move them up and down when I do my water changes.
Yeah, I worry about that too in smaller tanks but I think anymore that the water change is such a short amount of time for it being exposed that I don't worry much anymore. They do make "smart" heaters that are supposed to sense being submerged and dry and turn themselves on and off.

OP
BettaFett

BettaFett

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Willj626 said:
Yeah, I worry about that too in smaller tanks but I think anymore that the water change is such a short amount of time for it being exposed that I don't worry much anymore. They do make "smart" heaters that are supposed to sense being submerged and dry and turn themselves on and off.
That's true. I guess it's just me being paranoid then haha. Oh, that's cool. I didn't know "smart" heaters were a thing.

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BettaFett said:
That's true. I guess it's just me being paranoid then haha. Oh, that's cool. I didn't know "smart" heaters were a thing.
I've been getting ads for them on amazon lately, I have no idea how well they actually work though :/

OP
BettaFett

BettaFett

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Willj626 said:
I've been getting ads for them on amazon lately, I have no idea how well they actually work though :/
I don't know if I'd trust them entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if they focused more on the aspect of it turning off and on than the quality of the heater.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I must be missing the point of the post. Are you wanting a filter or an air pump?

As far as "smart" heaters, Eheim Jager, fluval, etc mostly ALL have auto shut off for overheating. That is the way that the good quality ones usually work to not overheat. Maybe the smart ones actually have a fluid sensor, but especially if they are marketed on ebay, facebook etc, I would be REALLY careful. They may turn off when they are dry and not turn on when they need to or just overheat the fishtail altogether!

OP
BettaFett

BettaFett

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sanderguy777 said:
So I must be missing the point of the post. Are you wanting a filter or an air pump?

As far as "smart" heaters, Eheim Jager, fluval, etc mostly ALL have auto shut off for overheating. That is the way that the good quality ones usually work to not overheat. Maybe the smart ones actually have a fluid sensor, but especially if they are marketed on ebay, facebook etc, I would be REALLY careful. They may turn off when they are dry and not turn on when they need to or just overheat the fishtail altogether!
A sponge filter that can be used with an air filter.

New Threads