whats the best cheapest air pump to own?

LadyBug82

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
whats the cheapest air pump that is good to use? are they a must have for a 55 gallon tank if u have two filters one at each ends?

ZeeZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know how good of a quality the Aqua Tech Air Pumps are, but they're $11 at Walmart and rated for 20-60 gallons. It has a dual output, so you can run both filters off just this one.

However, if I were you, I'd get two pumps and a joint to join both outlet airlines into one to run one filter each for maximum filter efficiency.

GemstonePony

Well Known
Reaction score
if-you've-heard-of-it-you-probably-live-within-a-3
Experience
5 to 10 years
hmmm... Tetra Whisper (10gal.) cost me $14 and should last for 2-3 yrs. A cheaper Tetra (10gal.) airpump I bought cost about $8 and should last about 6mo.-2yrs.
Whether or not you NEED them depends on:
how much surface movement your 2 filters are causing
how many fish you have taking up oxygen
whether or not the water is too warm for them(warmer water can have higher CO2 amounts)
Whether or not you have plants(plants supply oxygen, and NEED CO2 which bubbles will diminish)
If you have plants, if you are supplementing CO2, in which case bubbles might be good overnight when the plants release CO2.

Most properly filtered, properly stocked tanks do not need bubbles, but they do look cool!
Oh, and just so you know, just because you have a 55gal. tank doesn't mean you have to get a 55gal. airpump- the ratings are for how much air they pump out. If you just want decor. with bubbles, a little 10 or 20gal. air pump may do fine.

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
By far, the best affordable air pump I've found is Fusion. I love mine so much <3

ZeeZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whoa, serious air pump and cheap! I'm definitely getting that in the future. I love how you can control the air.

pirahnah3

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like the whisper pumps from tetras so far but I plan on trying one of those Fusion ones with my next order at kens.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have 2 filters, one at each end of the tank? That should be fine as long as they are getting enough gph filtration.

OP
L

LadyBug82

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a filter that is for a 75 gallon 90g tank and a 5 gallon 15 gallon filter on the other side of my fishtank

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What kind of fish are you keeping?

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The cheapest air pump I know of is your mouth you put one end of the tube in the tank and the other in your mouth and blow!

ZeeZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
soltarianknight said:
The cheapest air pump I know of is your mouth you put one end of the tube in the tank and the other in your mouth and blow!
I wouldn't put that past you.

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Done it. Ive also mouth started a 100 foot hose/gravel vac because the pump broke. They call me iron lungs!

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LadyBug82 said:
tetras mostly with 2 dwarf rainbows
You really shouldn't need an airstone then. 2 filters will give you plenty of water movement and surface agitation. The fish should be fine without one.

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
AmazonPassion said:
is it extremely quiet?
I have the one of the smaller ones and it is super quiet. I can't hear it at all over the petco ones I have. Hate the petco air pumps soooo much!!! The fusion air pumps are by far the quietest air pumps that I have personally ever owned or seen.

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have found a super quiet pump that pumps air and water. It came with an Exo Terra water Fall. The thing is dead silent. Not even the slightest vibration or hum.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom