Whats the best canister filter for a 90 gallon?

1. T

TheOdinOne New Member Member

I bought a corner 90 gallon acrylic tank with stand. Whats the best canister filter for a 90 gallon? Im also getting a hang in back protein skimmer so which one do you guys recommend? Thanks for any help.

2. zeeGGee

zeeGGee New Member Member

I'm new to this hobby too.Im just curious why would you need a canister filter?

3. OP
    OP
    T

To filter the tank. I would get a sump but id rather have a canister filter.

4. zeeGGee

I see...how old is your tank? Mine is 5 months old..no mechanical filtration.All parameters are fine so far...corals seem to be happy.Still trying to learn to be successful in this new hobby.

5. OP
    OP
    T

6. Rmoore80

Rmoore80 Valued Member Member

So technically speaking if I had a small tank with good flow and live rock I don't need a filter?

7. zeeGGee

For me yes. My tank is almost 10 months now without a filter-filter socks, polyfilter etc.. Just a HOB refugium with chaeto and a skimmer.Going strong.Corals seem to be happy..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. jessakitten

jessakitten Well Known Member Member

sun sun makes a good filter that is a canister and sits on the floor. i have a couple and i love them. super quiet and you can put whatever you want in the baskets for filtration.

9. zeeGGee

I just depend on good biological filtration with good flow...of course, every tank is different. But this one works for me so far... :)

10. jessakitten

jessakitten Well Known Member Member

i prefer the movement in the water from the filter on one side, and a powerhead on the other. seems to give my water the constant movement like in the ocean :)

11. Z

Zach Brown New Member Member

IMO canister filters are the most Un needed equipment for a saltwater tank. They're a nitrate farm and are just 1 more thing to have to keep up with.