What's the benefit of splitting your lighting time

1. M

Michael Briggs Valued Member Member

I've heard of people running there liters for a period in the morning then off for awhile then back on. Was wondering what the benefit is to this.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Personally I split the times so its on longer when im home in the morning and afternon.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

The benefit from this is to not leave the lights on too long. If you leave the lights on too long you can have an algae issue or other problems. Usually it's recommended to run your lights on for about 8-10 hours a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I do not do a split photoperiod as I see no benefit. I see it as interrupting the plants. It really only reduces the co2 demand for plants. You shouldn't need a split photoperiod to control algae. If a split photoperiod is needed to control algae, then there is a problem - imbalance.

Some do it so they can see their tank as stated.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Michael Briggs Valued Member Member

Thanks for the info was always curious about this.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have my tank lights come on at 7am and go off at Noon. Back on at 4pm and off at 8pm. Reason being, living in the south where it is so hot and humid, I want the tank lights off during the hottest parts of the day.

Temperature control is my reasoning.

Ken

7. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Good point too Ken :)

8. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I know people who do it so the lights will be on when they are home to enjoy the tanks. I have a friend who has his timers set to only be on for 4 hours during the week, and then on for something like 16 on Saturday and Sunday. His tank is a heavily planted 125 with pressurized CO2 and he doses with dry ferts. He has amazing growth, and no algae issues.

Personally I just set mine for 7 hours a day. This is just simpler and easier for me.