whats the absolute smallest tank needed for an angel?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by monkeypie102, Dec 25, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Here is the issue... I have been bugging my brother for his Marble Angelfish and he finally says I can have it... however he needs it gone like yesterday as he plans to use his 40 to breed mollies (yuck lol) anyways my 26g won't be ready until spring and my 29 is fully stocked... I only have a 10g and a 5g I can use and the 5g is going to house a group of pond snails... could I house the angel in my 10g or could my 29 house it temporarily? My 29 stock is
    1 betta
    4 black skirt tetras
    6 black neons (though 1 went missing this morning)
    6 otos
    6 albino cories
    3 mystery snails

The tank is fully planted and adding more plants after the 2nd
    I also have 2 hob filter both rated for a 30g...

I should also say he finally agreed after my 29 was fully stocked -_- because the plan was for an angel to be the center piece

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

just yesterday i bought a very good looking white marble angelfish. for my 29g and the stocking is 6rummy nose tetras,8 neon tetras 3 panda corys and a bn pleco and the angelfish seems to be doing alright. i don't know about the black skirt tetras though

3. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

is the angel full grown? if hes still small you could keep him in a 10g for a short time. idk about putting him in the 29, its pretty stocked and the betta and him might have problems. but if they get along and you keep up on cleanings(2 or 3 a week) it might work.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon,

I would be tempted to put the Betta in a smaller tank by itself and add the Angel to the 29g tank. Just a thought.

Ken :)

5. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

He is going on 2 years old, brother got him as a quarter sized babie... so yes full grown... it would only be for 2 months and i already do a water change weekly (actually about to do one now followed by moving the tank in front of the window :) ) but doing another water change won't be to bad... and i can move the betta to the 5g if he gets to nutty...

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I was actually thinking the same thing!!!
    I think the 29 gallon would be okay minus the betta ;)

That's a very nice gift i'd say! I'm planning on getting my Angel this week too :)

7. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Alright I guess Cresendo will go in the 5g until i can move the angel to the 26g

8. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

i would personally use this as an excuse to set up 2 more tanks- betta in the 5 gallon and then move the black neons (and maybe the black skirts) into the 10 gallon and put the angel in the 29... Bingo 2 more tanks set-up that you didn't have up before.

9. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

God no.. even my MTS has its limits... besides I like the way my tetras all school together and the betta will be moved back to the 29 once the angel is moved to the 26... I am happy with my 4 tanks...

10. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

the only thing i dont like about this is you have a betta in a community tank. if you move him by himself he might not want to go back in the 29g...

11. Quinn_Lamb98

why not put Cresendo in the 10 gallon?

12. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

He was by himself for a few months before i added him and he seems to love them fish in there never any aggression... but like i said if any aggression he will be moved back to the smaller tank...

As to why not put him in the 10g is because the 5g is already setup and cycled...

13. Quinn_Lamb98

oh, well i gues the 5 gallon is a go then, lol

14. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Pretty much :D though i till feel bad he is being down graded even if it is just for a little while

15. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

5 gallons is perfectly fine for a betta. Nothing to feel bad about.

16. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

My baron begs to differ........he was sulky and upset when moved from a 10g to a 4g. He sat onnthe heater suction cup for week, only moving food and sulky at that. He got his 10g back and went back to active normal behavior inhours. I don't think it hurt him at all, just an episode of betta-tude. Got sppiled n liked it with a 10 full of snails to rule over
    Crescendo will get over it, way better than growing back shredded fins.

17. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Well it will just be temporary :) so I won't feel bad for to long :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice