Whats That Growing In My Tank???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zacahriah, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Zacahriah

ZacahriahNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    I started up a tank a couple of weeks back and noticed green hair growing on my Christmas moss and my driftwood. I also see tiny tiny particles of it growing towards the bottom of the glass but its barely visible. Im almost positive its algae but at the same times its looks so pretty on my driftwood. If it is algae, what should I do??? I haven't cleaned the tank in a couple of weeks as I was having issues cycling my tank and someone recommended I avoid any water removal. Im going to do a 30% water change today and probably scrub off the green stuff off the wood if I can.

My water conditions are below.
    - Ph = 7.8
    - Nitrites = 0ppm
    - Nitrates = 0ppm
    - Ammonia = <.25ppm
    - GH = 214.8ppm
    - KH = 161.1ppm

Attached Files:

2. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    That's green hair algae. Did you get anything from a LFS used? Is there anything in your tank that wasn't 100% sterile when you got it? It's possible if not that this stuff took a hike on whatever you put in. Also, make sure your tank is kept out of direct sunlight. Something else you can do is up water changes to deplete nutrients in the water and make sure you turn your tank lights on and off at different times every day.

3. OP
    OP
    Zacahriah

Ratings:
    +5
    All wood in tank was boiled for at least 2 hours. Gravel was all washed. I suppose the plants may have harbored it but I so strange that it would appear out of nowhere. Literally yesterday there was no trace of the algae. Do you think doing a complete blackout would be safe or perhaps too dangerous for my other plants?

And the tank was brand new

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,157
    Experience:
    2 years
    Appears that your doing a fish-in cycle. I would scrub the green algae off everything and do bigger WC's when the Ammonia gets anywhere close to 1ppm. I wouldn't touch your filter as its still building up the BB. The white on the driftwood is most likely "new driftwood film" that will eventually go away. but at the same time you can scrub that off as well. What size tank? How many inhabitants are in there? Also you may want to lower your lights on time to 4-6 hours a day to cut down on the algae growth. Good Luck!

5. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    A blackout won't help and would hurt your plants. It's possible the algae rode in on them, and from what I know green hair algae doesn't respond to blackouts. (It just keeps growing) Your best bet would be frequent water changes and alternating and limiting light exposure to throw off the photosynthesis of the algal growth.

6. OP
    OP
    Zacahriah

Ratings:
    +5
    The tank is 20g, I have 8 Tiger Barbs and a pleco. I did not intend on putting in fish as early as I did and also not as many. It was an emergency situation as my friend was moving and needed someone to take his fish so I sort volunteered. Thanks!

Got it thanks! And by frequent water changes, does that mean every other day, once a week?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  7. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    Every other day.

8. OP
    OP
    Zacahriah

Ratings:
    +5
    Super thanks!

9. clovervalley

clovervalleyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +202
    Experience:
    Just started
    It depends on how you view it. Algae generally means there’s an imbalance in something, whether it’s the light amount or amount of ferts. A good start would be to limit or split up the amount of time your light is on with a set timer. In the end, it’s up to you whether or not you want to keep the algae. I have short green algae that carpets my fake driftwood piece and rock and I like the look of it, so I just leave it! What bugs me is when the live plants begin to get algae on them. IMO as long as the algae isn’t hurting anything, I’m not too concerned in my own tank. IMG_0930.JPG

10. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    I like that look! Super awesome.

11. clovervalley

clovervalleyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +202
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you! It’s a lot easier for me to leave it than to try and scrub the algae off... it’s really stuck on there!

12. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    I can imagine. That stuff is resilient.

Become a Fishlore Member