whats that green thing inside my tank?

1. MKucheria Member Member

i started feeding my tank.
    3rd 4th day, the water turned all green, and there was a green film on the gravel..like a covering..
    now it has turned brownish, and the entire water tank is very cloudy..

i don't know whats it ..
    suggestions please

2. STLBluesFan Member Member

if it is a newer tank, it could just be a bacteria bloom and will clear in a few days to a week

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like you have a couple of different forms of algae in your tank. Follow the link in my signature on why is there algae in your tank. Once you know which form of algae you are dealing with you can take steps to control it.

Good luck!

4. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Probably algae.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Water/Algae section of the forum.

Sounds like there may be a lighting issue causing the algae. How long do you have your tank lights on and what type of lighting?

For a quick fix and if your water is actually green, using a micron filter pad will remove the algae from the water. However, these pads will not remove a bacterial bloom or white water. The Micron Pads will clog and have to be replaced:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pure-flo-filter-pad-50-micron-18in-30in

Of course getting to the root of the problem is always best. :)

Ken

6. MKucheria Member Member

natural lights, its kept in the open..
    so like morning 6 to evening 7 !

7. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

That explains why, you might want to move it to a spot where it won't recieve so much light. Is it next to a window or outside?

8. MKucheria Member Member

outside, in the open !

9. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Can you put it under an awning of some sort, so it is shaded for part of the day?