What's That Fish You Initially Didn't Like, But Now You Do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoeCamaro, Apr 13, 2018.

1. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Is there any fish you got just because, even though you didn't like it that much? Or maybe because it fulfills a function and you had no other remedy than getting it? You know, that fish that was at the bottom of your favorite aquarium inhabitants. Have you changed your mind about it?

For me it were the Silver Hatchet Fish. I got them because I have a tall tank (46 gallon bow front) and the top was empty. After researching my options and checking was was available locally, I went with silver hatchet fish. I honestly got them to fill that space at the top, but wasn't too fond of them, I mean they just stay at the top and have no vibrant colors or anything, so...

BUT, I am really enjoying them now. I don't know what is it about them, maybe the odd shape, or the reflection of the lights on their bodied as they move, or how the behave, but I am liking them and enjoying them a whole lot now, specially since I upped their school.

What about you? Any change in opinion about a fish you used to dislike?

2. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

For me it’s actually guppies. I always dismissed them but my daughter wanted them for a species only tank. They are actually quite charming little fish (if only I could keep them alive :()

That is interesting about the hatchet fish. I’m looking for something for the top level of my 55 and never really paid attention to them. Can they tolerate flow and do they mind cooler water? I have Bolivian rams and keep the tank at about 75.

3. bigdreams

bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I got some guppies, some endler guppies actually, just because . Was never a fan of guppies. BUT..... They grew on me, I love them. So colorful, and active, much more interesting to watch than my school of Cardinals . Or lemon tetras. I have become a big fan.

4. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

for me bettas because i used to think they were boring since are usually kept in small bowls but now they are my favourite and guppies and mollys since they are very common but they are now fish i really want but cant have XD

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

@CraniumRex my tank is at 75 and they have been doing good. They are growing, active and look good. The only casualty I have had was because it jumped out of the tank one morning I left the lid open after feeding them. I also have a Bolivian ram.

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Blood Parrots...they look ugly and look like a orange softball in the water when they get big. My wife wanted one in the 90g tank and I didn't want to say no and come home to angry wife...but I've grown to like them, despite their flaws.

7. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

I have two actually,
    First being guppies. Until I found the higher end types (album is, mosaic dumbo ears, Moscow's, etc.), I dismissed them as a beginners fish. Even though I have yet to throw out $30 bucks a pair on dumbo, but I am still actually enjoying my simple ones. I will say though, that the ones I have i raised from babies, so that for sure makes me like them more.
    The second is lemon tetras.
    I original got three, to make sure my tank was cycled before putting other fish in their. After a week in my tank, they really colored up! I went out and bought two more, and plan on upping the school to 10. They are one of my favorite fish ever, and I just can't figure out why maybe it' s that they are schoolers, and I have never had schooling fish before. Regardless, those are two types of fish that I never thought I would like as my much as I do now

8. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

i always wanted bettas for years but listened to all that only one, only a small bowl outward lies i tell ya lies. Lol

9. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

Panda corys for me. I knew I wanted a shoal of corys for my 29 gallon and I really wanted false julii, I had been considering pandas too because they also fit my tank's temperature but I didn't like them a lot. When I went to my LFS to get corys, they didn't have any false julii so I decided to go with pandas since I thought they were kinda cute in person compared to online and I didn't really want to wait much longer. I love them now and wouldn't trade them for any other type of cory!

10. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

probably my green terror. before him I had a Midas and a few other tanks with other cichlids of good size. They were my favorite but soon moved on and rehomed all of them.
    while i had them, my terror didn't seem as interactive and didn't seem too happy. He kinda was just a fish i had and wasn't sure if i even wanted to keep him. But then i moved, and soon after getting the tank set back up, he just seemed to change. He's so active and loves people now. I also added my Severum in with him and they seem to be best friends. so bub my green terror, starts off as an after thought and now he's definitely a keeper. Sometimes I guess you need to pay attention to certain fish a little more and they brighten up :)

11. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

Bristlenose plecos. I just got it as a rescue, but man are they fun, and they are much more active then I was told!

12. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Oh yes, when I first started outwhen I was about 14, I used to have MASSIVE beast of a "normal" pleco, he was about 8-9 inches long with a HUGE head and tail! lol He was a major beast, and ate like a pig. Kinda weird that he never really disturbed any of my plants though, even as large as he was...I did like him don't get me wrong, but back then there were NOT many "albinos" or striped, spotted etc. type of Pleocs that weren't that easy to locate in any stores, even the more exclusive non-box stores. But over time, he ended up even growing bigger, even for my 55, so I decided to sell him for about $15 store credit (back then $15 was a nice amount of store credit! lol) and it turns out he found a nice, happy home to live out his days in some older gentleman's 100 gal! : ) As for now, I miss plecos. And most (about 75% of 'em) I ever see around are young and rather tiny anyway.

13. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

Danios. They just looked so boring in the tanks when I was little. Then petsmart got some long finned ones in that were pretty fun to watch. So I got 5 of them. Then I got five regular ones. They are constantly chasing each other and just making the tank fun to watch. A whole lot more active then neon tetras. That's for sure.

14. SFGiantsGuy

I just put a baby blue betta in my community tank! He's getting along with everyone too! Especially the 3-4 month old fry! He's a very curious little one too. Explores everywhere and every thing in the tank! Thinking since he already gets along with everyone, (even with the young Blue Ram! Guess they're kinda like friends, they stick together a lot lol) that he'll grow up imprinted just like all the other very young fish.

15. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

For me, it was goldfish. I always dismissed them as a fish for beginners and found the fancies unattractive and not interesting at all. However, since getting my own goldies I can proudly say I'm a massive goldie fan and can understand why people from around the world like them!

16. SFGiantsGuy

lol yup, goldfish are like MLB players: They make a big mess in the dugout, but we all love 'em heh...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice