What's so special about Cuffaro?

gandalf1420

Reaction score
Paul Cuffaro is really annoying IMO. He's not funny, despite his attempts, he's really bad at fish care, and his videos seem basically to be "watch me spend money on stuff I have no idea how to take care of."

And then his comment section sound like a cult leader's minions fawning over their overlord.

What's so special about him? I mean he's slightly entertaining sometimes but if you want a bad but funny fishtuber go watch Finatic or something.

Barbs Buzzing is worse but Cuffaro's following is borderline disturbing.

Can someone explain this to me?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Careful starting a thread like this, I know "store Bashing" is frowned upon, I imagine "people bashing" would be too even if that wasn't your intention. :)

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
gandalf1420 said:
Paul Cuffaro is really annoying IMO. He's not funny, despite his attempts, he's really bad at fish care, and his videos seem basically to be "watch me spend money on stuff I have no idea how to take care of."

And then his comment section sound like a cult leader's minions fawning over their overlord.

What's so special about him? I mean he's slightly entertaining sometimes but if you want a bad but funny fishtuber go watch Finatic or something.

I personally find many flaws in Cuffaro's videos (such as adding like 70 fish to a newly established tank at once) but he's definitely not the worst youtuber out there and has improved throughout the years. There are far worse channels out there...

I like King of Diy - he really knows what he's doing

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
gandalf1420 said:

I hafta agree. I mean, a 160 can't hold a redtail, arowana, clown knife and 20 million other tank buster fish.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FinalFins said:
I hafta agree. I mean, a 160 can't hold a redtail, arowana, clown knife and 20 million other tank buster fish.
In his defense he does listen to most of the comments that try to teach him. And those fish in the 160 do not stay in there very long, he has several ponds that he will put them into after a month or two.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
CoryFan said:
In his defense he does listen to most of the comments that try to teach him. And those fish in the 160 do not stay in there very long, he has several ponds that he will put them into after a month or two.
I guess, but a redtail cat in a 13ft wide pool is still pretty small.

OP
gandalf1420

gandalf1420

Reaction score
CoryFan said:
I have seen what you're talking about with the listening, it's actually kind of cool, but the problem is that he still does dumb things and he's become a role model for a lot of kids. There are absolutely worse you tubers (looking at you, Barbs Buzzing) but he has one of the biggest followings of any of the fish tubers and he really isn't great.

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Careful starting a thread like this, I know "store Bashing" is frowned upon, I imagine "people bashing" would be too even if that wasn't your intention. :)
I'm just trying to figure out what people see in him because he really doesn't know what he's doing.

SeaMonkey06 said:
I personally find many flaws in Cuffaro's videos (such as adding like 70 fish to a newly established tank at once) but he's definitely not the worst youtuber out there and has improved throughout the years. There are far worse channels out there...

I like King of Diy - he really knows what he's doing
KODIY is fantastic. He's a little loud so I usually have to pause his videos LOL, but he's really really good at this. And there are absolutely worse channels.

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
gandalf1420 said:
KODIY is fantastic. He's a little loud so I usually have to pause his videos LOL, but he's really really good at this.
I know right! He inspired me to one day (when I have space and money - and my own house, my parents would never allow it XD) set up a 1,000 gallon Asian Arowana tank/pond :)

gandalf1420 said:
And there are absolutely worse channels.
Like Monster Mike Fishing... I'm sorry, but came across one of his vids accidentally :dead:

OP
gandalf1420

gandalf1420

Reaction score
SeaMonkey06 said:
I know right! He inspired me to one day (when I have space and money - and my own house, my parents would never allow it XD) set up a 1,000 gallon Asian Arowana tank/pond :)

Like Monster Mike Fishing... I'm sorry, but came across one of his vids accidentally :dead:
That makes two of us! First thing I'm doing when I get my own house is building an arowana tank. Monster Mike....sigh. Many sighs. Many tears for the fish. Did you see his redtail cat fishing video? The things were clearly dead and he had to hold them up in the water to keep them looking like they were swimming. it was very sad.

MissPanda

Well Known
Reaction score
Hes a kid. I admire his tenacity, although he makes me cringe with his pet care. Maybe I'm bias because I used to be a stupid teen like him, except no youtube channel. I kept bettas in horrible conditions. I know he caught flack for his 3 betta complex thingy and he did end up changing it. I guess he maybe has to simmer down on his impulsivity and actually research before buying, but he won't be the same forever. Hes still growing up and will change and become better.

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
gandalf1420 said:
That makes two of us! First thing I'm doing when I get my own house is building an arowana tank.
:)

gandalf1420 said:
Monster Mike....sigh. Many sighs. Many tears for the fish. Did you see his redtail cat fishing video? The things were clearly dead and he had to hold them up in the water to keep them looking like they were swimming. it was very sad.
And is smallest Aquarium video. The fish couldn't even begin to turn it's body and he pumped it full of "OXYGEN" from his mouth :mad: :(

MissPanda said:
Hes a kid. I admire his tenacity, although he makes me cringe with his pet care. Maybe I'm bias because I used to be a stupid teen like him, except no youtube channel. I kept bettas in horrible conditions. I know he caught flack for his 3 betta complex thingy and he did end up changing it. I guess he maybe has to simmer down on his impulsivity and actually research before buying, but he won't be the same forever. Hes still growing up and will change and become better.
I agree. He does take better care of his fish than some people out there but he can be a bit impulsive at times (i.e with cycling)

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is a boring guy I like who's intro is too long. He breeds stuff like mad. I like his stuff but dislike the intro.
There is a famous one who has a really irritating persona that is even more painful when young kids try to imitate it for their fish vids. "Stop trying to be him!!"
I worry with another guy that now that he has super success, that his fish die tragically for drama, views, and donations (I'm a bit of a cynic).
Another guy with an irritating persona shows all the amazing fish you can catch in Florida and then keeps them in his backyard. He also goes to a fish shop with monster fish in a big above ground pool.
I have watched some of another guy who owns a shop and does some great educational stuff. I liked his trip to Peru to get fish which sadly didn't survive the trip back.
I stumbled across a terrible one where the guy catches pets in Florida and eats them.
I have never heard of Paul Cuffaro. Well off to Youtube to see how bad it is.

There, if bashing is forbidden I have not named any names.

Edit: OK I looked up Paul Cuffaro and saw he is doing "Youtube face" in the still for each video. Not clicking that.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's 4 types of fishtubers IMO and some fall inbetween. I don't want to give names, but I guess you will all be able to find examples within minutes.

Type 1: Long time hobbyists that don't breed/sell their fish commercially, but have the fishrooms of all our dreams. Often very informative, haven't changed their camera in years, but they don't have to, because their info is worth enduring an annoying buzz-sound in the background. A lot of these you now see more often as guests on other channels or only when others visit and make a fishroom tour of it.
EDIT: Sometimes not so long time, but taken under the wing by someone and we can see the progress happening.

Type 2: Store/brand owners and commercial breeders. They always still have an interest in selling something. Sometimes it's to get rid of overstock, sometimes it's because they are absolutely convinced that their method works best with that special product.

Type 3: The Stunt(wo-)man. Extreme or at least spectacular builds and projects. Can be commercially afiliated or not. Can be concerned for their animals health/wellbeing or not. Some do amazing builds and show off tanks that even Zoos would be jealous of. Others are only on the chase for clicks, which often doesn't end well for any animal in their "care".

Type 4: The documenter/reviewer. Soothing voices, commenting soothing footage of soothingly perfect tanks and scapes.

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like MD fish tanks, King of DIY, Finatic, Aquapros, Ohio Fish Rescue, Aquarium co op, and some others I can’t place a finger in right now.

I absolutely cannot stand Dustin from dustins fish tanks. He’s so... harsh... (if that’s the proper term)

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FinalFins said:
Aquarium Co-op?
Yep. I like his stuff. Sadly none of the gold with green ancistrus he caught made it back alive.
They did tell me who the exporter they visited in Peru was but those people have not replied to my email. I'm not a shop and mentioned that, so I'm not surprised. They did list 1 ancistrus I had never seen and liked, they do not list the gold with green.
So if I want those fish I have to build up enough frequent flyer miles to go to Peru... and hope for better luck shipping the fish back.
Other option: Make it to retirement and move down to SA to research cories, cichlids, and plecos.

KingJamal2 said:
I absolutely cannot stand Dustin from dustins fish tanks. He’s so... harsh... (if that’s the proper term)
Or the people who try to be him. Anyone trying to be the Logan Paul of fish is painful. I cringe when I hear "Wut up fish people?!" but I'm not the target audience. His content is not bad, his presentation of that content is terrible.
I brought myself to click a Paul Cuffaro video and he seemed to be trying to be Dustin/Logan Paul. It hurt.
If your channel says "Whoa" more times in any video than Keanu Reeves has said it during his career.. I do not like your channel.
Unfortunately Youtube Face in stills and trying to be Logan Paul seems to really ramp up the subscriber/view count.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will also add that Cuffaro, doesn't acclimate his fish properly, like drip acclimate them to make the fish used to their new water parameters, he just floats the bag/s for five minutes and just dumbs them in with the store water. He doesn't even cycle his tanks
I saw one of his videos where he just dumbed in goldfish with tropical fish into an uncycled tank.
I mean, what is up with this guy?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've decided to check in on the thread with names, but only positive, or I'll risk saying something unnecessary harsh.

KingJamal2 said:
Dustin is... "intense" in his behaviour and voice and for sure not for everyone, but he knows his plants and what he does in general. But yeah, that intensity makes me not watch more than maybe 2 videos of him in a row.

My favourites include Rachel O'Leary, LR Bretz Aquatics, Tank Tested, George Farmer and Swhiskey.

Aquarium Co-Op is nice once in a while, I mainly stick to the international fishkeeping stuff, the peru diaries and the unboxings. There I pick up the most interesting trivia and nuggets of info. Otherwise he talks a lot about stuff I don't care much for like lifebearers, spongefilters and lighting.
Just as a side-note: There is a german "copy" of the Co-Ops youtube concept. ZOOBOX

King of DIY is ok imo, I haven't been following his exploits that much lately. Ohio Fish Rescue on the other hand I just admire for their work and I'm really rooting for them. I know a lot of other channels, but those are mostly rather niche.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom