Whats so great about bettas?!

Austin {Aquarist}
I must sound like a gerk but I was just wondering what is so great about having a betta? I know a lot of people have them and I see a lot of posts and threads and pictures about them

anyone have any insight for me?

ShaynaB
They have an awesome personality and they're darn cute! That's why! Not to mention they have stunning colors...

sirdarksol
This is going to sound glib, and you've just got to trust me that I don't mean it to be.

What's so great about guppies, cichlids, goldfish, koi, danios, mollies, or any other fish, for that matter?
It's largely a personal choice. Not many people like common and comet goldfish, but I love the guys.

In the case of bettas, and other largely singular fish, they are often very personable with "their people." Aside from that, the beautiful fins and bright colors of the bettas tend to be a huge draw, as well. Lastly, the ability to keep them in relatively small (5g+) tanks make them a good fish to start with. Many people grow attached to the first fish (or other type of pet) they keep as adults, and remain attached to that kind of creature for the rest of their lives.

Austin {Aquarist}
good point :] I know I am attached to my orginal guppy pair even though there just feeders

Shawnie
I wanna know what "glib" is ) ..and as already stated, huge personalities and color galore!

sirdarksol
Normally, I'd respond with "look it up in a dictionary", but I'm feeling particularly magnanimous today (sorry, you're going to have to look that one up), so here you go.

It means having an ease or fluency of speech that is marked by an insincere manner. In other words, a very simple statement that usually has an unpleasant undertone. Satirical is a pretty close synonym.

Shawnie
o my...dose words are wayyyyy to big for me

Main Entry: mag·nan·i·mous
Pronunciation: \mag-ˈna-nə-məs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin magnanimus, from magnus great + animus spirit — more at much, animate
Date: 1567
1 : showing or suggesting a lofty and courageous spirit

pamd
I've had lots of tropical and a few marine fish. With one exception I have never had a fish that shows so much personality, seems so smart and relates to me as much as a betta. I'm pretty new to betta keeping and they continue to astonish, amuse and sometimes confound me. (BTW, the exception was a Niger triggerfish named Captain Nemo. I had a marine aquarium for five years.)

Don't misunderstand. I've found lots of joy in lots of different kinds of fish and almost all of them are wonderful in their own ways. I never thought of any of the little living creatures as "decorations," but bettas are exceptional pets. Yes, truly pets. The fact that we almost all name them, photograph them, talk to them, dote (and sometimes fret) over them says something.

As you know, bettas are not generally kept in a community tank. Having a betta by itself in a small tank or with only a few compatible tank mates is a different experience from having a community tank. Not to sound "glib" it 's a more intimate human-fish relationship. Really. But of course you don't have the charms of the community tank, such as different types of fish interacting with each other. Fortunately, a small betta tank and a large community tank are not mutually exclusive if you have the money, time and space. They each have their own sets of fascinating charms.

Thanks for asking us betta fanatics about our wonderful little fishie world. If you decide to become a betta owner, welcome! You'll be a good one. I can tell for at least two reasons: You asked a good question before you considered leaping and you're capable of getting attached to feeder guppies.

chickadee
I can only say that Betta do not know that they are fish. They are not raised like most fish and do not know that other fish are like them. They form their first bonds with their humans and continue to bond with that human almost exclusively. They show mostly no interest in other fish, some will rarely show companionship with tank mates but very rarely. Mostly they want to have our attention and will do anything to have it. They show a lively personality and actively suffer without our attention.
They have emotion and show temper and spunk and are very interesting fish. They quickly become as much a part of the family as the family cat or puppy or , in my case, one of my children.

Rose

sunstrip
They are great fish...that about it...once you get one..you will know as all the posts said...............personality galore !!!!

Normally, I'd respond with "look it up in a dictionary", but I'm feeling particularly magnanimous today (sorry, you're going to have to look that one up), so here you go.

It means having an ease or fluency of speech that is marked by an insincere manner. In other words, a very simple statement that usually has an unpleasant undertone. Satirical is a pretty close synonym.

I'm impressed.............LOL !!!!!!!!!!

JOKING....ONLY JOKING !!!!!!!!!!!

COBettaCouple
They are such wonderful and intelligent fish. The personalities that they show are varied and a lot of fun. They really are a fish that will amaze a first time owner, especially when they're kept in the conditions that they thrive in (as any fish would).

MissMTS
Honestly, I used to wonder the same thing about bettas. I kept them as a kid (ignorantly) in small glass bowls and they seemed pretty unexciting. However, I decided to try again with them a few months ago and this time I knew that they need a lot of swimming room, a heater, a filter, caves, and plants. I am immensly enjoying my bettas now and I am up to 8 at this point. They are a very addicting little fish and if you get one and house it in propper conditions you will see why. They have great personalities and are beautiful fish. They definetly interact with me more than any of my other fish do. I am glad that I tried keeping bettas a second time because if you do it right, it is very rewarding.

voiceless_kat
"They each have their own sets of fascinating charms" That is a wonderful phrase, Pam, and says it all!!!!

And besides, they are naughty, haughty, egotistical, sweet little brats!!!

Val

Allie
Honestly, I used to wonder the same thing about bettas. I kept them as a kid (ignorantly) in small glass bowls and they seemed pretty unexciting. However, I decided to try again with them a few months ago and this time I knew that they need a lot of swimming room, a heater, a filter, caves, and plants. I am immensly enjoying my bettas now and I am up to 8 at this point. They are a very addicting little fish and if you get one and house it in propper conditions you will see why. They have great personalities and are beautiful fish. They definetly interact with me more than any of my other fish do. I am glad that I tried keeping bettas a second time because if you do it right, it is very rewarding.
What she said...;D

capekate
.. All I can add to the above is this..
Whenever I talked about my betta's with my daughter she just didnt get it.
When she finally got her own.. well, all I can say is "She is in love" lol...
and that's all she talks about is her little ' fishy love me do" haha...
They just have a certain way of getting into your heart.... no way around that!

~ kate

Shawnie
awwwwwww the things kids say...so cute kate...my grand daughter says "bishies wub me"! I just giggle..

janoue
Not only are Betta's the most colourful and brightest freshwater fish, they each have their own little personality. I have 4 guys right now ,and my friends and family know their names, who's who etc. Everytime one of my boys blows a bubble nest, I take pics and send them home (east coast, I now live on the west). As crazy this may sound, I would say they are a little a spoiled toddler(in a good way). If they don't get the attention they want, they pout. They normally don't want to eat what you want to feed them either. All four of my guys like different foods. They are the best little fish. My daughter wants me to set up a five gallon betta tank in her classroom so she can teach her class about fishkeeping. When my mother in law was visiting she asked me move one to the kitchen so she would have a little fishy to talk too when she was in there. They are addictive, and one is never enough.

capekate
awwwwwww the things kids say...so cute kate...my grand daughter says "bishies wub me"! I just giggle..

LOL Shawnie... My daughter is 28yrs old! I don't think she would think it so cute.. ... Her Betta's original name was 'fishy',but she added the words from a Beatles song, 'love me do'.. to his name.
I agree, I love watching lil kids.. watch fish tanks, they are so amazed by them.

~ kate

nmwierman1977
Well I must agree with everyone here. Betta are just wonderful fish to have as a pet. They fascinate me in that they really do communicate with you in their own way and they love getting attention from us humans. I just love them. natalie

pamd
.. All I can add to the above is this..
Whenever I talked about my betta's with my daughter she just didnt get it.
When she finally got her own.. well, all I can say is "She is in love" lol...
and that's all she talks about is her little ' fishy love me do" haha...
They just have a certain way of getting into your heart.... no way around that!

~ kate
"fishy love me do" makes me giggle, especially coming from the lips of a 28-year-old! Your daughter sounds like a really, really special "kid," Kate! Love her sense of playfulness and also her competence.

Blub
Hi!

What cam I say that hasn't already been said? Great personality, colours and fins are AMAZING, a real way of interacting with humans. I love Bettas! The only downside for me is that they eat shrimp...ops:

Jimold
I have to admit, I never really saw the appeal of Betta's before. But when I rebuilt my tank into the swamp and brought in 5 females, I changed my opinion fast. In a weird way they're very similar to some amazon cichlids in terms of personality, intelligence, and curiousity. I actually now prefer female bettas to males.

capekate
I have to admit, I never really saw the appeal of Betta's before. But when I rebuilt my tank into the swamp and brought in 5 females, I changed my opinion fast. In a weird way they're very similar to some amazon cichlids in terms of personality, intelligence, and curiousity. I actually now prefer female bettas to males.
HI Jim
having both males and female betta's, I have to agree with you. I find the females with much more personality and interaction with me, than the males.
I love them both for their own individual personalities, but the females more so!

~ kate

Jimold
HI Jim
having both males and female betta's, I have to agree with you. I find the females with much more personality and interaction with me, than the males.
I love them both for their own individual personalities, but the females more so!

~ kate

1 very odd and really fsacinating thing I've noticed is this. Look at my tank and you'll see it's literally covered in Java moss:

Now, what is really wild is how the female Bettas interact with the Java. They swim in it, thru it... UNDER IT! Look at all the Java across the bottom of my tank; none of it is attached, it just sort of sits there. And all the time I will find a female worming her way around under it, looking like she's hunting something. First time I saw one it scared the out of me, I thought she was stuck. But I watched carefully before I panicked, and sure enough, she had domne it on purpose, and was out again in a few minutes.
Same thing with the Java on the driftwood. A female will swim about an inch over it, freeze in place a few seconds, then dart straight into it, head first really deep. I know they're hunting something, I just don't know really what.
Anyway, I mentioned this to the guy that works down in Tampa at Fish-World, and when I said Java's like "Betta-Nip" he laughed and started grinning like an idiot, and said he's seen the same thing. I researched it, and sure enough, both Java and Bettas are Asian, so apparently there's a connection and I lucked upon an instinct. Believe me, if you have females, you have to try and find some healthy Java and watch what happens... you'll open up a whole new avenue of fun with them!

Blub
Hi!

Jim, what is that long, thread like plant? Not the Java moss, the really radical looking stringy thing.

Austin {Aquarist}
My new betta!!!!!

after all the extremely positive feedback about bettas I finally got one

I wish I could show him to you but unfortunately I lost my camera : \

but I did find a picture of a betta on google that looks like my betta

COBettaCouple
Congrats! You'll find lots of recommendations here on toys and things to bring out his full personality.

Austin {Aquarist}
can you point me towards the toy articles? haha

pamd
Austin,

Cool, you went for it!! You're going to love your beautiful new blue boy! It was so smart of you to ask about bettas before jumping into the water (so to speak).

Congrats, New Dad!
(and you're probably feeling like a new proud dad already!)

Dave and a few others are the experts on toys here. I'm pretty sure they will steer you in a couple of directions to help you entertain your inquisitive and fun-loving little pet.

I have the honor of being the first to ask. What's his name?

COBettaCouple
LOL.. Well, each Betta has his/her preferences, but I've found the hamster T-tubes to be very popular with the males if you float them in the tank. Bubble wands also are good. They love caves and funny enough, the cheap rainbow caves at walmart have gone over better than any more expensive caves. The hamster igloos and hamster picture frame toys do good too. Some like to play with ping-pong balls or popsicle sticks floating on the surface. They love water sprite floating too. If you look at our tank pics, you'll see a seaweed decoration in some tanks. They all have those now and every Betta of ours loves them.. $10 a pop at petco.

We just make sure anything that goes in has no rough spots, inside or out. We like to use flat glass marbles even instead of gravel. You'll notice your guy dragging his fins along the bottom at times.. if you do use gravel, try coated gravel. Our first 2 had regular gravel to begin with and both got finrot.

beyzagorkemli
they are charismatic, also sympathetic, also goodlooking , also fascinating, also magnificent, also .. etc, etc..

Austin {Aquarist}
hI pam

pam,

unfortunately I haven't been able to come up with a name yet : \

any suggestions?

COBettaCouple
I like to watch them a little bit and see what kind of personality they have and pick a name that fits.

Blub
pam,

unfortunately I haven't been able to come up with a name yet : \

any suggestions?
Hi!

If he's really fiery - Blast? If he's quite placid: Vista?

chickadee
Seaweed decoration, Dave??

Do they not realize they are freshwater fish?? $10.00! they do live high on the piglet there. I do not blame you ... I spoil mine too.

I have also been trying to remember to look at the hamster T's and such and made 2 orders this last week and forgot them both times. I guess they will not be getting them soon with the s/h costs.

Oh well.

Rose

COBettaCouple
Ah. If we'd known, we could have sent you a few with your Bettas.. yea, our little ones are spoiled and they know it.

Jimold
Hi!

Jim, what is that long, thread like plant? Not the Java moss, the really radical looking stringy thing.

That is a Crinum calamistratun. It's definitly the show plant of the tank (if there is one) and my favorite. I bought it at Fishworld in Tampa, and the lady there said she had it growing in it's tank almost 8 months. Needless to say it wasn't cheap (almost $30.00), but I fell in love with it, and it was definitly worth every penny. It's absolutly amazing in the late afternoon to see it all covered in tiny O2 bubbles, then have a pleco or shrimp land on one of those huge stringy leaves and send a huge swath of bubbles flying to the top. It's absolutly unreal to watch.
I'm telling all of you, if you have female bettas you need plants like these. They definitly love them, and it's a riot to watch them swimming in and around all of them, sending up little clouds of O2 bubbles all around them.

chickadee
1 very odd and really fsacinating thing I've noticed is this. Look at my tank and you'll see it's literally covered in Java moss:

... all the time I will find a female worming her way around under it, looking like she's hunting something. First time I saw one it scared the out of me, I thought she was stuck. But I watched carefully before I panicked, and sure enough, she had domne it on purpose, and was out again in a few minutes.
Same thing with the Java on the driftwood. A female will swim about an inch over it, freeze in place a few seconds, then dart straight into it, head first really deep. I know they're hunting something, I just don't know really what.

The bettas see things that we humans cannot see and there is food in them there plants, food I tell you. This is what she is after. They do see food sources in their tanks that we are not aware of and while it is important to monitor closely the commercial food they receive, I never try to monitor or restrict any food that they find in natural sources that may occur in the tanks. There are microscopic things in the tank that the fish eat and we are not aware of them and more power to them. It is a normal and natural thing for them to do and good for them so do not worry, she is getting her hunting done for sure and finding a nosh in the jungle. It makes her feel like she is a big, bad, hunter betta and helps to keep her occupied with something that is not going to hurt her a bit. She is happy. That is all.

Rose

Allie
after all the extremely positive feedback about bettas I finally got one

I wish I could show him to you but unfortunately I lost my camera : \

but I did find a picture of a betta on google that looks like my betta
Welcome to the Betta club.

Blub
That is a Crinum calamistratun. It's definitly the show plant of the tank (if there is one) and my favorite. I bought it at Fishworld in Tampa, and the lady there said she had it growing in it's tank almost 8 months. Needless to say it wasn't cheap (almost $30.00), but I fell in love with it, and it was definitly worth every penny. It's absolutly amazing in the late afternoon to see it all covered in tiny O2 bubbles, then have a pleco or shrimp land on one of those huge stringy leaves and send a huge swath of bubbles flying to the top. It's absolutly unreal to watch.
I'm telling all of you, if you have female bettas you need plants like these. They definitly love them, and it's a riot to watch them swimming in and around all of them, sending up little clouds of O2 bubbles all around them.
Hi!

Hmm, I wonder if there is anywhere I could fit one of those in one of my scapes? See what Tropica says about it. 40-120cm high - yikes!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Annie424
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
grracemarrie
Replies
Views