What's She Doing?

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by CarrieFisher, Apr 19, 2017.

1. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

I'm super impatient.
    I'll just start out by saying that...

I went out to one of my lfs today to see about shipping supplies (for the mollies), and while I was there, I couldn't help it!!
    They were all staring at me!!
    The shrimp, that is!

So, i picked up ONE ghostie, as a sort of experiment.
    I asked for a bigger one, bc I'm hoping that none of my stock will try to fit her into their mouths.

When she drops her eggs, i realize that its unlikely that many (if any) will survive, but if a few make it, then she'll have some friends.

Anyhow, when you shine a light on her, you can see (what looks to me) like a bunch of sets of eyes in her belly.
    Additionally, she is doing this strange "hunching" behavior and another behavior that looks like she's "picking at them/her abdomen".
    Do you think she's dropping now from the stress of her move?

I've left the lights off for the entire day after acclimating her, and she really started making herself at home right away!

I tried to take a vid, excuse the din, i was watching Louie on Netflix, lol

2. vijay3242

vijay3242Well Known MemberMember

The picking at the abdomen is perfectly fine, she is cleaning the eggs and aerating them. The other thing seems fine as well.

3. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

Thanks, @vijay3242
    Do you see what i mean about what appears to be sets of eyes with a background light on them?
    Is that possible?

4. Drummindot

DrummindotWell Known MemberMember

Ghost shrimp need to be raised in brackish water. The young won't survive at all in freshwater.

5. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

I keep reading very mixed opinions about this.
    Some articles say that it's Amano shrimp that require brackish, and not ghost, and some articles say that ghosts need it, gotta love the continuing stream (no pun intended, lol) of ever conflicting aquaria articles

6. Absolem420

Absolem420Valued MemberMember

I got baby's in fresh water

IMAG0403.jpgIMAG0404.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

@Absolem420, do you have otherfish in there, or is it a shrimp only tank?

If you do have others, what are they?
    Just curious if any of her babies "stand a chance"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice