Question What’s on my nerite?

JJ3204

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I couldn't find the disease forum, so I put it here. There is a white dot on my zebra nerite’s shell. It has been there for a very long time and I didn’t think anything of it, but I was reading something about nerites and said that they can have white parasites on them. I was unable to find any pictures online, but here is a picture of my snail. It is very old, a little older than 2. I guess I was lucky that I have one that has lived for so long.
EB4AC264-2148-48D8-8A21-6FD571EBE471.jpeg

For some reason, my phone is terrible at taking good photos through glass.

Best Answer - View Fisheye's answer

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could it be that the nerite came to you with that dot on its shell? I would think if it was a parasite for a long time that more damage would be done and your snail would be off activity-wise. Additionally, I think nerite parasites are more wormy.

I wonder if you got it from a tank that had other nerites and its just another nerite egg.

Can you pick it off?

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’ll check. Thank you

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Please update if and when you can! I hope it pops off and then you have nothing further to be concerned about.:)

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How should I get it off? If it doesn’t come off with a small scratch, I don’t want to damage the shell.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How long have you had this nerite for? Did you source it at a petshop from a tank with other nerites?

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I got it at Petco 2 years ago in a tank with maybe 15 other nerites. I use to have enough algae to support two, but now I don’t, so I gave one to a friend a few months ago. This one is still going strong. I have always noticed the spot but never did anything, but I know it was not there when I got it. I think the first time I noticed it was late 2019.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like either a Nerite egg or a small freshwater limpet. Either way, harmless.

OP
JJ3204

JJ3204

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JJ3204 said:
Yeah, I got it at Petco 2 years ago in a tank with maybe 15 other nerites. I use to have enough algae to support two, but now I don’t, so I gave one to a friend a few months ago. This one is still going strong. I have always noticed the spot but never did anything, but I know it was not there when I got it. I think the first time I noticed it was late 2019.
Wait, I’ve been wondering this too, my nerite is picky and will not eat any of the veggies I have put in. Do you know of any algae wafers suitable for snails? The ones I find are always for plecos.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ohhhhh so there were two nerites at one time. But still, since 2019.

Fahn, would the limpet be in the same spot for a long time?

Your nerite will be fine on any algae wafer. The Hakari ones are great. Tropical Spirulina tablets are great but a bit spendy.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JJ3204 said:
Wait, I’ve been wondering this too, my nerite is picky and will not eat any of the veggies I have put in. Do you know of any algae wafers suitable for snails? The ones I find are always for plecos.
My nerites dont eat anything I put in there either. I think they live on biofilm and algae..

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fisheye said:
Ohhhhh so there were two nerites at one time. But still, since 2019.

Fahn, would the limpet be in the same spot for a long time?

Your nerite will be fine on any algae wafer. The Hakari ones are great. Tropical Spirulina tablets are great but a bit spendy.
Not sure, just a suggestion lol. More than likely a leftover egg, they can stick around for a crazy-long time.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I liked your idea but was wondering if a dead limpet would stay stuck as I guessed a living one would still be cruising around.

Now I want to leave one nerite egg in my tank to see how long it lasts for. But then again....nah!

New Threads