Whats on my neons?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Kimberly4403, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Some of my neons have these bubbles on there mouths over last few weeks to be honest i never gave it any thought until tonight one of my neons looks like its missing couple of neon blue scales on one side.. Cant get pic its too fast.. This pic isnt my fish but thats what the mouth bubbles look like.. What is it?? All eating and very active like normal

Water parameters:
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    10 nitrate

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Kim,

I have removed the photo due to the fact it was not your own and copyright issues. Photos that are not your own cannot be posted to Fish Lore. Please post a link to the photo and let the members look it up for themselves.

Thanks! Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    K

Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Oh sorry ok ill try again

4. Aquarist

5. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

It looks almost columnaris (cotton mouth) like to me, you might Google it and see if that looks like what you're seeing on your neons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    K

Doesnt look like any of the pics in the two fish lore threads they look a lot worse and its definately not lock jaw mouth opens and closes like normal eats and moves like normal.. I guess i just monitor no other fish are affected except maybe 3 out of 10 neon tetras

7. Aquarist

Flexibacter:

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    K

So in my 75g stocking post i was told that my tank temperature of 25-27C is too high for neon tetras and can cause stress and shorter life span my heaters currently set on 28C.. As my neons are the only one affected should i lower my heaters to 26C?? If it is columnaris its spreds faster in warmer water from what ive read.. How do i go about treating this and getting it out of my tank?

75g stock:
    2x BN
    1X DG
    6x SAE
    6x Sterbai cory
    6x Cherry barbs
    10x Neon tetra

Also numerous live aquatic and land plants..

So i just googled columnaris in sterbai corys as i had a cory die a month or 2 ago who had an unidentified grey fuzzy patch thats being shown in pictures.. None of the other sterbais present with symptoms either do any other fish except the 4 neons.. Maybe the move between 40g to 75g stressed them a bit??

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  9. Et tuValued MemberMember

Treatment needs to start pronto.This type of bacterial infection will move through your tank(s) like the plague. Some of the the meds can harm your biological filter ( gram+) so read the info on pacakage. Kanamycin, & Nitrofurazone are effective for aeromonas & columnaris ( both are gram - ) You can try using Pimafx as a very mild prophylactic. Sorry you are going through this.

10. OP
    OP
    K

Melafix and primafix are the basic ones i have should i try these first will they be ok for my BB as well as plants and other fish?

Should i lower my heaters from 28 to 26? To make neons more comfy??

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  11. BunnySawNothingValued MemberMember

This may help or may not, but neon tetras are very sensitive fish so there mucst be something wrong with the water for this to happen.

12. OP
    OP
    K

Well as i said my parameters are:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    Someone mentioned in another thread that my water temp was too high for the neons but if i lower to 26C will that harm any other of my fish?

13. BunnySawNothingValued MemberMember

I dont think that it will. Honestly it will if u had a fish like guppies but lowering the temp a bit for those neons would matter too much to the other fish but will greatly help neons

14. Et tuValued MemberMember

Melafx is useless for bacterial infections. Pimafx is ok to use, but has it's limits, You need to bring out the big guns for these types of bacterial infections. Pimafx won't harm the bio filter or plants, it is very mild so not effective against this plague.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  15. OP
    OP
    K

Dont understand are you saying it will or it wont affect other fish

I need something thats not gonna wipe out my plants or BB or affect my catfish

16. Et tuValued MemberMember

Do you have a hospital tank?

17. OP
    OP
    K

No i dont.. But wouldnt it be better to treat whole tank if ive had a cory already possibly die from this 2 months ago?

18. BunnySawNothingValued MemberMember

it wont effect the other fish and will be positive to the tetras (sorry for terrible wording)

19. OP
    OP
    K

So thats a yes to lowering the heaters to 26C

20. BunnySawNothingValued MemberMember

yup good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice